Am I screwed? Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greydog

Reaction score
Well, being the crafty devil I am, I decided to make an insulated box to put my primary in to keep the temperature as warm as possible in my garage.
When i racked to the fermenter (Hank's Wheat Ale), the temperature was 70F.
Thinking that the yeast would be happy with a constant temperature, I put the carboy in the box, sealed it up and thought all was well.
Next morning lots of activity in the carboy, air lock merrily bubbling, great smell, all was right with God in His Heaven.....except the temperature had climbed to about 72F.
I figured that if the yeast (Notingham) was happy, I just left it in the box, for two days @ 72 F then, bubbly went AWOL.
My OG was 1.054 and I thought about taking a S.G. but it's only been 2 days so I don't think there can be that much difference.
I have since allowed the temperature to gradually lower and it's now about 68F.
Sorry this is so long but, am I screwed?
Greydog

Go ahead and draw a sample to test for SG. If it is at or very near your FG target the yeast are finished. If the gravity is high then you have a stuck fermentation. This will probably cure itself once things cool down a bit. Either way, I'd let the beer sit for a week or two.

John

At 72 degrees your fermentation just finished early. Just leave it alone for at least 2 weeks before you check any gravity. Allow the yeast time to clean up.

Remember, airlocks are the not the rule for measuring when fermentation stops or starts. When I first started I always let my beers ferment, in a homemade box like yours (in Florida) for 2 weeks. Now I let them go for 3 weeks in the primary and rack to a keg.

Do you think just letting things go will be all right?
I plan on racking to secondary on 1/2/10, and leaving it there for two weeks or so.
I think a couple of weeks in the bottle will help take care of my earlier screw up.
Time wounds all heels and all that!
Thanks for your opinions
Greydog

That will be fine. Again, I see no screw up. Maybe a tad high at 72 ambient yes, but no biggie. I think you will find you have made good beer in the end!
:mug:

Yambor44:
Thanks for your vote of confidence!
I'm pretty new to this whole brewing thing and, it seems as though, one really needs to mess up bad to produce a "flusher".
I dumped Irish Moss in the brew for the last 15 min. of boil. Do you think adding gelatin during secondary will increase clarity?
I've never tired it but, clear beer is a good thing.
Greydog

I dumped Irish Moss in the brew for the last 15 min. of boil. Do you think adding gelatin during secondary will increase clarity?
I've never tired it but, clear beer is a good thing.
Greydog
Irish Moss should give you clear beer and gelatin is really only advantageous if you keg, but then again, it's a wheat ale, so you don't need it to be that clear.

A4J:
Thanks for that.
I haven't yet explored all types of beer and their individual characteristics.
My guess is that a lot, if not most, new North American brewers only know about the major American brews.
All I know about wheat beers is that they're not like your everyday "on tap" beers at the corner bar.
This is a whole new experience for me and any insight I can gain from replies like yours is welcomed and appreciated.

See?
As I said, " We don't know anything except what we've been served before"....kinda.
Before, "cloudy" beer=nasty beer.
Now, for me, "Home brew=what turns out".
As I type, I'm drinking a batch of, a pretty young, American Pale Ale. It's a little bitter but, hey, I brewed it!
Thanks for the input.
Greydog

Worse than that, try a Hefeweisen. It will have yeast in the bottom of the bottle and you are supposed to stir it up before drinking. The yeast is part of the flavor. :drunk:

John

When i first started i was lucky to keep my fermentation temperature under 80 degrees before I made a swamp cooler. Honestly my beer still came out tasting great at 80-82 degrees fermentation (Maybe a little banana estery at most...) I wouldn't worry at all.

Thanks All
After a good night's sleep, all is well.
I took a look at the carboy this morning and since I opened the box up, the temp is a balmy 62F., and I saw some activity in the mix.
I still plan on racking to secondary on 1/2/10.
Is cooler better for the secondary, too?
Greydog

Back