am i safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
I had a 3year old sour ageing. It has unfortunately turned into vinegar. Don't know how or why.
Anyway, it tastes good but is it safe?
Abv was about 5%

I love vinegar! I often add an ounce of Bragg's cider vinegar to a glass of sparkling water.

Some balsamic vinegars are aged for over 12 years and sell for hundreds of dollars an ounce.

Then there is this:

"In Italy really good balsamic is also drunk as a palette cleanser, aperitif or digestif, especially on special occasions such as weddings. The name "balsamic" connotes the vinegar's original use as a tonic, or "balm."

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/everything-you-need-to-know-guide-to-balsamic-vinegar.html

Yum!

Yeah, not looking to drink it. Just want to make sure I won't poison myself or anyone else who tastes/ uses it.

I had a 5 gallon batch of plum wine (fermented with wild yeast) that I intended to turn into german-style plum schnapps get attacked by fruit flies and turn to vinegar.... I forgot about it for about 6 months or so. Some of the best vinegar I've ever tasted. We use it to make salad dressings, etc. It's so good you can drink it straight from a glass. We even give it as gifts.

I'm not sure the fermenter is salvageable, though :(

OP...
Probably too much oxygen exposure. That leads to excessive acidic acid production. Pitch a mother of vinegar to ferment the alcohol and enjoy some fish n chips

Back