Am i ready!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsey

Reaction score
I have a home made cooler mash/lauter tun, 30 liter fermentor, 30L plus pot and 20L plus pot, hydrometer and thermometer. I have been researching and reading for a few weeks and can't wait to put on an ag. I plan to use ice bath for chiller and will buy ingredients from a good brew store. Maybe I should go partial mash? Part extract? I love ipa but maybe it's harder to brew. Should i start with a simple ale?

Maybe start with a pale ale with american ale dry yeast. That way if you decide to try dry hopping later you would still be true to style. Search the recipe section of the forum there are dozens of great recipes.

I would suggest going with a simple, easy mild ale or pale ale, get your technique dialed in, then you can always save part of the yeast cake for the IPA that you follow up with. Your first beer will be ready fairly quickly, especially if you keg.
edit:
plus if things go FUBAR then your not out a ton of money compared to something simple....

Yeah find yourself a nice cheap all grain kit from a good homebrew supply and make it. Only thing I would also recommend getting is the equipment to make yeast starters.

It's easy to do all grain full mash. Watch your temps and times. Take notes. Get a cool clipboard and print out a procedural list and check off as you go. Beersmith has capability to print you out a nice little brew steps sheet.

Be careful and don't burn yourself. Don't wear flip flops your first time :D. Clean as you go.

You will look back and wonder what you were worried about.

Have fun.

Back