Am I a beer geek or beer snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ReverseApacheMaster said:
IPA is made by a specific brewing process that makes it taste hoppy and perfectly bitter. "So specific" with a "small envelope" in the process to get it right. I guess that process isn't just adding more hops.

IPAs are not as popular as ambers or light lagers because those are supposed to taste good.

He can only tell the difference between 4 IPAs, all the rest taste the same so he knows if he orders an IPA anywhere he will like it.

So that's what I've been doing wrong!? Where do we go to hear this ipa god speak?

So that's what I've been doing wrong!? Where do we go to hear this ipa god speak?

I sit next to him in my labor law class every tuesday and thursday. You're welcome to join.

I wish I could keep a straight face long enough to get him to tell me more beer secrets but I don't think I could keep from laughing that long.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what-your-beer-personality-article-link-336537/
Is a good start.

For the record, I dislike BMC as well as "1/2 craft" and am pretty vocal about it on a beer enthusiast board, where/when it is a pertinent to the subject. I do not however preach my thinking or ways to "the public" or to friends and family unless I am asked and then I try to be as polite as possible about the subject. I will never mention the movie "Beer Wars" because I can make an informed decision on my own, from personal experiences. Not that that was a bad movie but it was designed to get people worked up and was pretty one sided.

As for bashing on BMC to me that is like kicking the crutch out from under an elderly person. If you are into pointing out what the majority here already has been informed on, to the point of nausea, I guess have at.

The one thing that I would like to point out is that BMC has repeatability nailed down. Very few brewers, including our beloved Sam Adams, can boast that...

As for the "Lager lover's" of the world being misinformed or having under developed palates you are DEAD WRONG, I have one in my family. He has an ULTRA sensitive palate. While he may not know all the correct lingo he can tell the most subtle of differences in between lagers (including LIGHT LAGERS). He may not be able to tell them apart but he can taste differences. I have made "yellow fizzy ales" that his wife has said tastes better than most lagers she has had and he can still tell the difference between ale and lager yeasts. He prefers lagers when he drinks beer, which is seldom because he does not like it that much. I literally have given up trying to brew a beer the man will like until I can lager correctly and even then I probably will not be able to brew one he will like...and believe me it is not for lack of trying!

I seriously think you need to RDWHAHB.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
I sit next to him in my labor law class every tuesday and thursday. You're welcome to join.

I wish I could keep a straight face long enough to get him to tell me more beer secrets but I don't think I could keep from laughing that long.

I've definitely met similar...years ago, I would correct people like that and be a ******, but now days I just let people spout their ill informed minds and try not to laugh as well.

MisterTipsy said:
I like it when someone gets beer uppity because they are drinking Fat Tire.

lol

Right?! We were at a dive bar and this woman (friend of friends) sneers at my wife's PBR and goes, "I'm kind of a beer snob.". Wife gets excited, thinking a good beer discussion is about to ensue. "I love Aventinus and DFH90, what about you?"

Her response: "Blue Moon, have you heard of it?"

Dear god.

Yooper said:
But see, that's why I thought it was a good analogy. Busch Light tastes like ass to 99.9% of Beer geeks :D. Brussel sprouts= Avery Mararajah IPA. :p

I love Avery Maharaja! Don't like Brussels sprouts... Don't much care for American light lager either. I like broccoli. Brussels sprouts sound Belgian. I like Belgians, the beer not the people..., um, actually I didn't mean that. I've never met a Belgian, the people, not that I know of, so I don't know if I like Belgians. I suppose I couldn't judge all of them based on meeting (or drinking) one. I'm really confused now. And to top it off I don't even know if I do.t like Brussels sprouts. I don't when the last time tried was. Sorry for wasting all your time.

Right?! We were at a dive bar and this woman (friend of friends) sneers at my wife's PBR and goes, "I'm kind of a beer snob.". Wife gets excited, thinking a good beer discussion is about to ensue. "I love Aventinus and DFH90, what about you?"

Her response: "Blue Moon, have you heard of it?"

Dear god.

Haha. Blue Moon is often the beer ladies "step up to" when they feel they need to drink "craft beer" instead of Coors light. They don't really like it, but I think they feel better about drinking "craft beer".

I really don't get the mentality of people that feel the need to convert people. If people enjoy their budlight or miller light, so be it. Honestly on a 100 degree day while mowing the lawn you will see me out there with a Coors Light. There is nothing wrong with BMC beers, they are just a different style then most craft beers. To truley appreciate the craft, you should be able to apprecate (not necessarily like) all different types of beer for what they bring to the style.

Plus its a lot cheaper to buy people that dislike IPA's etc a big box of Coors then it is a case of Imperial IPA's.

I really don't get the mentality of people that feel the need to convert people.

Let me explain the conversion mentality in a positive way. I used to drink BMC exclusively many years ago until I tried a bottle of Duvel. That one beer opened my eyes and my taste buds to the world of flavorful beer and I became less interested in drinking BMC. I'm glad I had that bottle of Duvel.

Since then, I've drank a wide variety of styles with bold or artfully delicate flavors, wonderful aromas and a complexity that no BMC beer has. I don't think it makes me a "better person" than a BMC drinker because the beer you drink has nothing to do with who you really are.

Why wouldn't I encourage people to try something new that they might enjoy just as much as I do? If they try it and don't like it, that's OK with me. They don't have to like fancy beer. I just want them to give it a fair shot because it could be something they truly enjoy for many years to come.

Let me explain the conversion mentality in a positive way. I used to drink BMC exclusively many years ago until I tried a bottle of Duvel. That one beer opened my eyes and my taste buds to the world of flavorful beer and I became less interested in drinking BMC. I'm glad I had that bottle of Duvel.

Since then, I've drank a wide variety of styles with bold or artfully delicate flavors, wonderful aromas and a complexity that no BMC beer has. I don't think it makes me a "better person" than a BMC drinker because the beer you drink has nothing to do with who you really are.

Why wouldn't I encourage people to try something new that they might enjoy just as much as I do? If they try it and don't like it, that's OK with me. They don't have to like fancy beer. I just want them to give it a fair shot because it could be something they truly enjoy for many years to come.

Finally someone I can agree with

When someone says, "I don't like dark beers because of Guinness," or "I don't like craft beer because it is too hoppy." My first inclination isn't to put them down, it is to try to reeducate that person by informing them that there are plenty of stouts which are not bitter and tons of non-hoppy craft beers out there. With 23 BJCP styles, each with several sub-styles consisting of dozens of commercial examples each, not even considering all hundreds of the lesser-known styles, specialties and variations, I can't possibly believe that someone wouldn't be able to find a craft beer which fits their palette. Drinking better beer doesn't make you a better person, but being open-minded enough to try something new does make you a better person.

It's the people who show up at the local craft beer bars, brew pubs and beer festivals and get upset that there isn't a BMC tap that I can't stand. Far too many people on this forum are advocating a double-standard where it is ok for people to spew ignorance as long as it is backed by corporate marketing, but it is not ok to try to educate someone about the much, MUCH broader world of fermented beverages that is actually out there. I don't look down on BMC drinkers for loving their beer anymore than I look down on a five year old for not knowing math--they just need to be taught. Its the people who refuse to learn that I have a real problem with. The people who refuse to help educate others are even worse.

When someone says, "I don't like dark beers because of Guinness," or "I don't like craft beer because it is too hoppy." My first inclination isn't to put them down

No, your first inclination is this:
I just want to hit them over and over again until they are incapable of speech (permanently).

I don't look down on BMC drinkers for loving their beer anymore than I look down on a five year old for not knowing math--they just need to be taught. Its the people who refuse to learn that I have a real problem with. The people who refuse to help educate others are even worse.

Reeducate? WTF. Those BMC beers are part of the 23 BJCP styles.

Every member here would be glad to help educate others. It's a bore that forces it on someone who doesn't care.

I've seen BMC drinkers in a pub that focuses on craft beer who get really angry because they don't offer BMC. I've seen people throw hissy fits in a maddened state of disbelief because there was no BMC available. "You mean to tell me this place doesn't have Bud? It's the KING OF BEERS for Pete's sake. How could you not have Bud?"

I've seen people leave the pub because there was no BMC. I've also seen them try a mild craft beer the waitress / bartender suggested and then they make the yucky beer face, complain that it costs too much and leave very unsatisfied.

If I ran a craft beer pub, I'd still have some bud light for those who have to have it.

I really don't get the mentality of people that feel the need to convert people. If people enjoy their budlight or miller light, so be it. Honestly on a 100 degree day while mowing the lawn you will see me out there with a Coors Light. There is nothing wrong with BMC beers, they are just a different style then most craft beers. To truley appreciate the craft, you should be able to apprecate (not necessarily like) all different types of beer for what they bring to the style.

Plus its a lot cheaper to buy people that dislike IPA's etc a big box of Coors then it is a case of Imperial IPA's.

I don't get the whole lawnmower beer thing. When I mow the lawn I drink water.

Reeducate? WTF. Those BMC beers are part of the 23 BJCP styles.
+1000 and a QFT. Speaking truth. IMO this thread is turning into a troll fest.

Reeducate??? Are you the beer nazi?
Drz said:
No beer for you until you complete reeducation!
That is how you sound to me... I am starting to believe that you are actually a Budweiser rep practicing "agent provocateur"...

I don't get the whole lawnmower beer thing. When I mow the lawn I drink water.

Same here. Dehydrating myself with beer when I need hydration never made any sense to me. :drunk:

I am going to attempt to disprove this thinking now by explaining that at 1 point in history EVERY man woman and child drank beer because the water would kill you.

I am going to attempt to Prove that this is true next summer. Keep tuned to HBT for future updates.

I am going to attempt to disprove this thinking now by explaining that at 1 point in history EVERY man woman and child drank beer because the water would kill you.

I am going to attempt to Prove that this is true next summer. Keep tuned to HBT for future updates.

In those days water would dehydrate you more than beer because the dirty water gave you dysentery.

Clean water will always provide better hydration than booze and too much booze will dehydrate you. Too much water won't dehydrate you, but it can kill you much easier than you think.

Be careful !

I've seen BMC drinkers in a pub that focuses on craft beer who get really angry because they don't offer BMC. I've seen people throw hissy fits in a maddened state of disbelief because there was no BMC available. "You mean to tell me this place doesn't have Bud? It's the KING OF BEERS for Pete's sake. How could you not have Bud?"

I've seen people leave the pub because there was no BMC. I've also seen them try a mild craft beer the waitress / bartender suggested and then they make the yucky beer face, complain that it costs too much and leave very unsatisfied.

If I ran a craft beer pub, I'd still have some bud light for those who have to have it.

There's a full service bar here that's owned by a homebrewer. Lots of good craft taps but they always had Miller Lite. I rarely saw the Miller get sold. Even not beer drinkers would get prodded by their friends to drink something else. They ended up ditching the Miller tap and replaced it with Spaten lager. That's the option people normally bought instead of Miller. It's kinda funny because the Spaten was cheaper than the Miller Lite.

For my honeymoon last year we went to a very nice adult-only, all inclusive resort in cancun. We paid an upgrade to have access to a private bar for upgraded members. One night we were watching the NBA finals in the private lounge and a couple came in and asked for patron shots. The bartender told them they didn't have Patron but proceeded to offer Don Julio and several other higher quality tequila. The couple just kept asking with disbelief whether they had patron, like if they kept asking the bartender would give in and bring out the crappy patron bottle. Rather than try the bartender's recommendation (I think it was Don Julio) they just declined to drink. Same sort of thing as Bud. It might call itself the king of beers like Patron calls itself top shelf but it doesn't mean it is.

Same here. Dehydrating myself with beer when I need hydration never made any sense to me. :drunk:

Put me on this list as well. I like beer (heck, I'm making my own), but not for every occasion - especially hot conditions where I need to stay hydrated.

I hear this sort of thing all the time for a variety of issues. It's the classic, "Back in the good ol' days, we used to do ~insert dangerous behavior~ all the time. What's the problem?" The problem is that people would actually suffer from doing that. Just because it was the only real option back then, doesn't mean it's safe.

There are lots of things people used to do that are no longer relevant. Back when beer was the only safe source of water, a lot of people probably DIED from dehydration and alcohol related problems. Prior to the 20th Century, Infectious Disease was the #1 killer. Few people got old enough to die of cancer or heart attacks; the tuberculosis, pneumonia, or dysentary killed you first. Waterborn disease was a major killer.

There's a reason the average lifespan has doubled in the past couple of centuries. Among those reasons is the fact that we no longer have to do dumb s*#t like drink beer on hot days to keep hydrated. Our sources of clean water are safer than that (assuming we're talking about the developed world).

I hear this sort of thing all the time for a variety of issues. It's the classic, "Back in the good ol' days, we used to do ~insert dangerous behavior~ all the time. What's the problem?" The problem is that people would actually suffer from doing that. Just because it was the only real option back then, doesn't mean it's safe.

There are lots of things people used to do that are no longer relevant. Back when beer was the only safe source of water, a lot of people probably DIED from dehydration and alcohol related problems. Prior to the 20th Century, Infectious Disease was the #1 killer. Few people got old enough to die of cancer or heart attacks; the tuberculosis, pneumonia, or dysentary killed you first. Waterborn disease was a major killer.

There's a reason the average lifespan has doubled in the past couple of centuries. Among those reasons is the fact that we no longer have to do dumb s*#t like drink beer on hot days to keep hydrated. Our sources of clean water are safer than that (assuming we're talking about the developed world).

Oh my God! You mean we're all gonna die?!?

Yeah, sorry to be the one to break it to you.

Go have a beer. Enjoy.

Out the door in 6 minutes and a cold one waiting at home. The weather man said it's gonna get back up to 105 again. Guess I should drink some water before or after to hydrate - or just stay inside. Cheers!

jkendal said:
Out the door in 6 minutes and a cold one waiting at home. The weather man said it's gonna get back up to 105 again. Guess I should drink some water before or after to hydrate - or just stay inside. Cheers!

Or you could drink table beer like what was drunk "back in the day." There's a reason you can live on beer alone for 40 days during lent. Low ABV beers are/were safe to drink and did not dehydrate.

I would like to think of myself as a Beer Geek, because I really love beer, and not only want to learn as much as possible, but educate others as well. But when faced with someone who pontificates about how Bud Light is the best beer on the planet, and they can't stand that "thick bitter crap" I just want to hit them over and over again until they are incapable of speech (permanently). Does this make me a Beer Snob instead?

I think it means your an *******.

aubiecat said:

So, what do we call people who call names without using remotely proper English?

In all seriousness, what's the difference between judging someone for being close minded about beer and judging someone for that judgement? Are you a better person then whom you're calling a snob, jerk, or *******? I think not.

Why would you want to educate anyone? People only believe what they want to believe, buy them a F"ing Bud. Want to educate, start a class, people who want to be educated will come.
My water isn't infected, I drink it, I prefer beer. You think I drink too much beer, you welcome to your opinion, now go **** yourself.
You want to talk about beer, me too. Just don't tell me I'm wrong when we don't agree, that makes me right, and you an *******.
And no, I don't think your (you're) an *******, (includes those that don't agree with me) just misguided.
Hey, want to talk politic's or religion?:ban:

MisterTipsy said:

Well said,I'm with you. Drink what you like!

Back