Aluminum Pot Seasoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbrainwashd

Reaction score
Ok,
So I went to Menards and I got a 7.5 gal aluminum pot for $29.99, here is the link: http://menards.com/main/outdoor/grills-smokers/30-qt-boiling-pot-with-basket/p-1694255-c-10141.htm . I been reading that with aluminum pots you need to "Season" them before you brew with them. From what I read you can either throw it in the oven or boil the water for about an hour. I put more than half water in there and put the flame high on the stove, maybe 2 1/2 hours later it was VERY hot (duh) and sizzling but not particularly boiling. It's not dark brown on the side, kinda just looks like water has been there.

Even though I don't see too much brown, is it seasoned? Should I still brew? I don't wanna screw up this batch, and I wanna make sure it won't turn out tasting bad.

Please Help!

urbrainwashd said:
Ok,
So I went to Menards and I got a 7.5 gal aluminum pot for $29.99, here is the link: http://menards.com/main/outdoor/grills-smokers/30-qt-boiling-pot-with-basket/p-1694255-c-10141.htm . I been reading that with aluminum pots you need to "Season" them before you brew with them. From what I read you can either throw it in the oven or boil the water for about an hour. I put more than half water in there and put the flame high on the stove, maybe 2 1/2 hours later it was VERY hot (duh) and sizzling but not particularly boiling. It's not dark brown on the side, kinda just looks like water has been there.

Even though I don't see too much brown, is it seasoned? Should I still brew? I don't wanna screw up this batch, and I wanna make sure it won't turn out tasting bad.

Please Help!

So here's the deal. If your stove can't boil water in the pot after 2.5 hours, seasoning the pot is the least of your worries ;). You'll need to be able to achieve a full boil to make your beer.

You have 2 options as I see it: 1) go buy a better burner. There are a lot of options for good burners ... But even a $40 turkey fries will work wonders. That's what I use, and I can boil water in about 30 mins. 2). Use a smaller pot. Do your boils at 3 gallons, an add top water.

And to answer your question, no, your pot is probably not fully "seasoned" yet. It really should be boiled for an hour.

+1masterfool101
You need to boil water for an hour to passivize the pot before you use it,
what it does it oxidize the aluminum
BTW when you done boiling or brewing don't scrub it with a hard material but clean it with a soft brush or soft sponge ( blue color)
Hope this help
Good luck

Back