Aluminum pot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchester404

Reaction score
I'm borrowing an aluminum pot from the restaurant that I work at. This pot is used to make pasta sauce. The inside of the pot is fairly chipped up from being used. I was wondering what I could use to clean and sanitize this pot. I've heard some cleaners can not be used in aluminum pots and could ruin the beer that I'm brewing. Thoughts?

I'm borrowing an aluminum pot from the restaurant that I work at. This pot is used to make pasta sauce. The inside of the pot is fairly chipped up from being used. I was wondering what I could use to clean and sanitize this pot. I've heard some cleaners can not be used in aluminum pots and could ruin the beer that I'm brewing. Thoughts?

eha... I hate borrowing stuff... and loaning it out for similar reasons. If you're afraid of ruining the pot, use elbow grease to clean it and then use iodine or sanstar to sanitize. You want to avoid Oxyclean with Aluminum (it will totally discolor your pot in the least).

Unless it has residue stuck to it, just a quick cleaning with dish soap followed by plenty of rinsing will be clean enough. The boiling wort will take care of any sanitizing you need as it will kill nearly all bugs.

The aluminum needs to have water boiled in it for 30 minutes or so to build up an oxide layer inside to keep from leaching metallic flavors into your wort.

If it's a used pot, it should be discolored. You won't need to passivize it. But as for cleaning after your brew day, just a wash cloth, dish soap and warm/hot water. Don't use chemicals, aluminum is very susceptible to corrosion.

I'm sure that a well used restaurant pot has a hearty oxide layer on it already. Its not new after all.

Exactly... Which I why RM's advice of a thorough cleaning is the best option. Clean it well, rinse it even better and then brew, brew brew!

Avoid scrubbing the existing oxide layer off if u can.
Oxiclean and other cleaners are fine on aluminum as long as you rinse them well after.

What exactly do mean when you say "chipped"?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Aluminum pots should be nice and dingy gray inside. Bright metal may impart metallic flavor to the beer. My Al pot has been in service for over a decade and it only gets a nice scrub to remove any trub. The inside of the pot has a nice brownish tint to it from all the brews it has held.

OK great, thank you very much. The pot has been used and I'm not worried about denting it or anything like that. I was just worried what cleaning product I could use and what I couldn't. Do I need to sanitize it or will simply boiling wort be good enough?

Just wash off any old tomato sauce and brew away!

Quick question. I have an electric stove. I can get my pot to a boil covered fairly quickly. Can I boil my wort with the pot covered or no? When I pull the cover, it stays at a very slow boil

Quick question. I have an electric stove. I can get my pot to a boil covered fairly quickly. Can I boil my wort with the pot covered or no? When I pull the cover, it stays at a very slow boil

You can cover the pot when you are heating the water for the mash and the sparge.
I would advice you not to do it when you are boiling the wort/liquour (the 60 or whatever minute boil you choose to have), because that is when some of the off flavours of beer (Such as DMS) volatilize.

Ah damn OK. I can't seem to get it at a rolling boil without having it covered. Maybe I need to wait longer

Latest posts

Back