Aluminum pot help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zip

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm about to jump into my first 5-gallon batch and I appear to have run into a hiccup before I even got started. I pre-boiled some water this morning to sanitize it/the pot, and let it cool. I just checked it and plain water did this to my pot. The water also looked greasy and had weird floaties in it... Is this pot just trash or what? It's a plain aluminum stockpot... I can't figure out why it did that.

And, most importantly, can I use this pot or no?

Any input is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Joe

image-184227014.jpg

(first post!!)

Boil MORE h2o in it first then wash good then should be gtg... I say more because the water line is very low IMHO... But make sure not to use that water for making your beer... ;) Boiling will kill anything alive so just make sure to clean good before use...
P.S. The kettle looks fine (a little darker ring than I got on mine 1st use...) but that is how you break in an aluminum pot... Sorta like seasoning a cast iron skillet...

As I understand (and I may be way off here) the surface of aluminum pots oxidizes after a boil, changing the appearance and, to a smaller degree its properties.

Actually, for our purposes its properties are changed quite a bit. The oxidation layer creates a barrier between the aluminum and the wort. You want that so you don't get any metallic tastes.

I assume you used tap water? If you have high mineral/chlorine content it could react more w the aluminium. I would give it a first boil filled w purified water and see how it looks. The oxidization layer that forms will darken it some...and you want that...dont try to clean it off later.

Also dont use bleach or acid based cleaners w aluminium.

John Palmer, who also happens to be a metalurgist, has a good section in his book on brewing metalurgy including aluminium pots.

Awesome, thanks for all the responses guys. Very much appreciated. I went ahead and boiled another full pot and dumped it before I made my wort. Seemed okay this time. No weird oil/floaties. Guess we'll see in 6 weeks :)

My aluminum pot looks dirtier than yours and I have no problems with my beer (so far). Boiling kicks the ass of most nasties.

Is the part that isn't darker completely non-oxidized?

The darker area probably is that way from direct contact with minerals in the water. If you boil water in a pot covered with aluminum foil the foil will be oxidized just from contact with the steam.

My ten gallon is only really dark on the lower 1/3 and has been used dozens of times with no problems.

bosco

cool. I have aluminum and the lower part is dark like that, not much toward the top. But I've been using it, hoping, I guess you'd say, that it won't make my beer have metallic flavors.

Back