Aluminum foil, for the first few days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGREDIOWAN

Reaction score
So I have a Saison that's downstairs bubbling away right now along with a cream ale. The problem is my ferm chamber isn't tall enough to support one of my ferm vessels with an airlock and the Saison is getting too hot, around 72 to 74 right now. So I can tell this beer is going to be a violent fermenter, it's going crazy and it's only a matter of time before it starts spewing. I wanted to cool the Saison off so I took the airlock off, sanitized some aluminum foil, used that as my airlock due to space, and put it in my ferm chamber and plan on keeping it there for the next few days through the primary part of fermentation. After 3 or 4 days, I'll take it back out, put an airlock on and let it sit at ambient temp in the basement, which is 68 to 70. Any issues with this? My cream ale is sitting right at 65 which I'm alot more comfortable with than 72 to 74. The foil is just on there loosely, but I figured since the krausen is going I should be fine for the next 3 days or so?

Aren't Saisons supposed to be fermented at high temps (like ~80)? Or is it totally dependent on the yeast strain?

I thought it was dependent on the yeast strain? I used a Wyeast Saison strain, but I think the violent ferementation part might slow down some if I drop the temp possibly avoiding a blowoff. Unless everyone thinks the wort fermenting at 72 to 74 isn't a problem, however I was always told it was on your basic beers. By the way my OG was 1.075, it was supposed to be 1.065, don't know what happened there, but I'm not worried about that. Just don't want an infection or off flavors.

The foil is fine. But if you suspect a violent fermentation is coming id use a blow off tube

Would've done that, but I was prepared for it considering I didn't measure one of my primary's with an airlock. So after this I'll plan for a blowoff from now on and both will fit fine in the ferm chamber. Made plenty of mistakes on these last two brews and none of my first two brews. Got too confident and started thinking I knew what I was doing.......................WRONG! lol

I thought it was dependent on the yeast strain? I used a Wyeast Saison strain, but I think the violent ferementation part might slow down some if I drop the temp possibly avoiding a blowoff. Unless everyone thinks the wort fermenting at 72 to 74 isn't a problem, however I was always told it was on your basic beers. By the way my OG was 1.075, it was supposed to be 1.065, don't know what happened there, but I'm not worried about that. Just don't want an infection or off flavors.

Depends on the strain, yes. WY3724 is the Dupont strain and does well at high temps, but WY3711 does well at closer to "standard" ale temps.

Well, I guess I won't worry about it too much because I got the 3724 strain. It's in the ferm chamber now, but I'll give it a few days and put my airlock back on and take it out on Monday or Tuesday.

I would not cool it off I'd use a blow off tube and let it rip.

WY3711 does well at closer to "standard" ale temps.[/QUOTE said:
I have used 3711 at temps from 74° to just below 90°. The best classic saison flavors coming from pitch from pitched at 75° and letting it free rise to 86°. To get a low finish gravity standard temps are fine but to get a good yeast profile I let 3711 push the temperature to where it wants from room temperatures in mid to low 70s°

I would not cool it off I'd use a blow off tube and let it rip.

WY3711 does well at closer to "standard" ale temps.[/QUOTE said:
I have used 3711 at temps from 74° to just below 90°. The best classic saison flavors coming from pitch from pitched at 75° and letting it free rise to 86°. To get a low finish gravity standard temps are fine but to get a good yeast profile I let 3711 push the temperature to where it wants from room temperatures in mid to low 70s°

Back