altitude problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkulju

Reaction score
I am using a recipe from my dad in NM (5000 ft) which he got from his local shop. I had a blowout after 28 hours. He has never had one with any recipe in 15 years. He helped me with my whole set up so I could use his recipes to get started. Do I need to adjust for being at a different altitude (300 ft)?

He will boil at a lower temp. Hop utilization might be slightly different but otherwise shouldn't be a problem.

By blowout your an the fermentor? I don't think that is an altitude issue. Use a blowoff tube during the most active part of fermentation.

I have never even heard of altitude affecting the krausen. Likewise any kind of altitude adjustment for fermenters. I think your dad just got lucky never having a blowoff.

The only altitude adjustment I know of is on the hot side as water comes to boil at a lower temp as altitude increases. Generally, one must cook things a bit longer. I'm sure they understand all this in Golden, Colorado

Pez.

Latest posts

Back