Alternative to Sauergut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
Here's a link for anyone who doesn't know what that is:
http://www.********************/ingredients/a-sauergut-reactor/

From my understanding the utility is three-fold:
  1. The lactic acid lowers mash pH.
  2. The live yeast consume dissolved oxygen when a low enough dough-in temperature is also used.
  3. Particular flavor contribution from the wild microbes is desirable.
My thoughts:
Lowering mash pH isn't a particularly useful function of sauergut since the lactic acid content is either a bit unpredictable, or you need to do a titration to measure it. On the other hand we have easy access to lactic acid or phosphoric acid (among others) for lowering mash pH more easily and predictably.

I can't really comment on the flavor contribution aspect since I haven't used sauergut and I'm not familiar with any beers displaying the flavor. However I brew mostly sour beer (with the bacteria alive in the final beer) and/or use high-ester yeast +/- Brett, so I'm no stranger to wild flavors. "Grape" is kind of a weird flavor descriptor; does this refer to the Concord grape?

The consumption of DO by yeast is what really intrigues me about sauergut. However, it's unclear to me exactly how much this can lower DO in a mash that contains sulfite. Wouldn't the sulfite react with DO before the yeast can access it?

Is this worth the effort? Maintaining temperature and preventing oxidation of such a relatively small quantity of wort/beer can be a challenge requiring extra work and expense. We go through such great lengths to prevent oxidation on the full batch, I'm having a difficult time imagining being able to achieve that same level of effectiveness on such a small scale. How could I prevent oxidation over several months when I don't brew on a regular basis? How can I take pH readings or gravity samples without oxidizing the sauergut? How could I remove it from the heater "reactor" without it sucking in oxygen while cooling?

My idea:
After pondering these questions and potential issues, I have a solution to provide perhaps some of the benefit of sauergut with less logistical problems:
What if instead of wort we used sugar? Mix up a 1.030 sugar solution with a bit of nutrient, toss in some grain, and hold at 48°C for a couple days.
This culture medium would be extremely less prone to oxidation compared to wort. This makes it both easier to produce and less detrimental to store for long periods and therefore eliminates the need for a prolonged heated incubation.

Comparison:
I imagine the flavor contribution might not be the same, but likely it would be similar to some extent.
The lactic acid contribution would be less, and the liquid could even be mostly decanted, so you could rely on a more predictable method of mash/wort acidification.
The yeast would presumably be equally effective at reducing DO.

Another question:
Suppose my strike water already contains plenty of active yeast from YOS, would sauergut even help reduce DO? Is there are evidence that the wild yeast on grain would be more effective at reducing DO than bread yeast? If I mash in low enough so as not to kill the bread yeast, presumably they would continue scavenging oxygen after dough-in until the temperature ramps up.
If that's true, then the sauergut would only be potentially useful to me for contributing its flavor. Though, I'm skeptical the subtle flavor would stand up to the expressive microbes I tend to use for fermentation.

Your thoughts? I like the sound of all this but I'm having trouble justifying the effort. Maybe I'll just have to give it a try once and see for myself.

Wasn't sure if you knew that author has stopped using sulfites. He's using Sauergut (SG) as a substitute for sulfites and is Rheinheitgebot Compliant. I believe he doughs in with SG and some also after the boil to protect it from the transfer.

I like your idea. I started doughing in at 100F with YOS hot liquor. Then all my additions were boiled step additions with 10ppm of trifecta protection.

Wasn't sure if you knew that author has stopped using sulfites. He's using Sauergut (SG) as a substitute for sulfites and is Rheinheitgebot Compliant. I believe he doughs in with SG and some also after the boil to protect it from the transfer.

I like your idea. I started doughing in at 100F with YOS hot liquor. Then all my additions were boiled step additions with 10ppm of trifecta protection.

That's not entirely correct, as he has stated he purges with nitrogen instead of using sulfites to scavenge.

I have just recently been to Munich and I can get some quite fresh Bitburger from time to time, but I can't say that I am familiar with this "grapey" taste that is said to come from it. But then again we might have different references to what a "grapey" taste might be.

Hey have you seen the Non-Fed Sauergut Reactor thread in LOB Website?

They make canned wort starter via normal mashing and boiling and fill canning jars.

It's a split batch half starter, half sauergut.

A) For starters, you fill the jars, half to innoculate with hops and pressure cook. Then cool and refrigerate.

B) For the other half you grow Sauergut in canning jars in a Crock-Pot water bath, uncovered, then cap, cool and refrigerate. The Crock-Pot is uncovered. The jars have lids on with the ring on loose to vent.

I'm not sure how long the SG growth period takes to complete.

Another thought to ponder....

That's not entirely correct, as he has stated he purges with nitrogen instead of using sulfites to scavenge.

I have just recently been to Munich and I can get some quite fresh Bitburger from time to time, but I can't say that I am familiar with this "grapey" taste that is said to come from it. But then again we might have different references to what a "grapey" taste might be.
It's before coffee.... What did I say that wasn't correct?

I thought I read somewhere he's completely off sulfites. Yes doing the N purge. He uses the word "Tighten". It's system and process reference to say he's not getting any DO uptake. He has digital inline DO Meters. I swear I saw where he said he's not using sulfites.

FWIW, I do not use sulfites.

Also I ran one set of test that showed DO consumption of water using SG at the same rates and temps as mash. It's not gospel by any means.

SG is not a substitute for sulfites or oxygen mitigation techniques.

My kettle line up I designed are fully sealed and meant to be purged.

What you are predicting may work, but will no way shape or form be like sauergut. I think you are missing the whole point of SG.

Also I ran one set of test that showed DO consumption of water using SG at the same rates and temps as mash.
Sorry, I don't understand this sentence.

I think you are missing the whole point of SG.
I might be missing the point. It is more for RHG compliance than anything else?

Your setup is really impressive. Thanks for all your work on this! I'm still making adjustments to my modest system but my LOB beers have been great, and it's easy to tell when I get it right because the beer is phenomenal.
Cheers

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence.

I thought you mentioned DO consumption of SG, it was in regards to that. I did one test where, I did see a notable reduction in DO. But it's only one data point.

I might be missing the point. It is more for RHG compliance than anything else?

Your setup is really impressive. Thanks for all your work on this! I'm still making adjustments to my modest system but my LOB beers have been great, and it's easy to tell when I get it right because the beer is phenomenal.
Cheers

No the points are listed in the blog article. There are a myriad of them.

What kind of mash schedule /dough-in temperature do you recommend to keep the yeast alive long enough to lower the DO?

No the points are listed in the blog article. There are a myriad of them.
I did read the text on the blog, and it listed a lot of benefits.
However, I think most of them are a result of proper mash pH and reduction in DO, which can both be accomplished without sauergut. Liquid lactic acid (or acidulated malt) and YOS with bread yeast are much easier to integrate than utilizing wild microbes grown in a low-oxygen starter.
Perhaps the wild yeast are better performing at higher temperature than bread yeast; I don't know.

He says "The addition of biologically obtained lactic acid offers more technological advantages and better sensory characteristics [than mineral acid]".
I'm interpreting this as "technological advantages" refers to the DO reduction, and the "sensory characteristics" result from proper mash pH, the DO reduction, and possibly the flavor contribution from the wild microbes.

The text shows (in my opinion) a lack of understanding of the microbiology -- exactly why the sauergut reduces DO. He doesn't even mention wild yeast, which pretty clearly are the actual reason why it helps reduce DO. Lactic acid bacteria do not utilize oxygen; they are facultative anaerobes.

I want to do this whole LOB process correctly, but in the easiest way possible. I plan to give sauergut a try after I tighten up my system enough to produce consistently great results (hopefully soon!).
I'd love to nitrogen purge but can't spend the $$$ on that right now.

Again, I think you are confusing things.
YOS and Sauergut are two separate things. Both of which are seen to scavenge oxygen. I was speaking of my tests with deoxygenation via SG only (yes I know lacto is not supposed to take up o2, but it does for some reason in SG, perhaps fermentation generated sulfites). However the are completely separate things.

There is no misunderstanding in micro biology... This is a book that is a requirement at the most prestigious brewing schools in the world.

RHB compliant breweries are not allowed to use lactic acid, and even if they were they never would. SG is a pillar of the signature german flavors.. Malt, balance and SG. Each breweries SG takes on a different nuance flavor, and when its added in process matters as well.

I think you are also confusing Mash acidification, with Biological Acidification and Conclusions for carrying out mashing. They are all separate pieces of the mashing bundle. Mash acidification is a no brainer, but biological acid is a way to obtain mash acidification. Also highlighted there is that mineral acidification ( lactic, phos, sulfuric, etc) is only to be used as a last resort.

It goes like this:
You must acidify the wort
Here's how you should do that (biological)
Conclusion = Acidification + these other things need to be done ( remove o2, sheer forces, etc)

The big breweries are starting with deoxygenated water, mashing in, with purged grain, into purged vessels. The have no need for any other deoxygenation methods. So don't confuse the hacks we use, compared to what they do.

On a 5 gallon pale lager batch you are probably going to use 1l of SG in the batch. you are diluting a 19L batch with 1L of flavored low strength acid, you will certainly notice this nuance flavor, and its meant to be noticed. Much like all German brewing.

SG is kind of the final frontier, you will notice that if you are trying to reproduce authentic German Beer, and you follow all this low oxygen stuff to a T, you will be missing that final dimension, and that dimension is what SG brings to the table.

Good points all around.

I can't really wrap my head around any alternate theory why SG would lower DO besides live yeast. Sulfite generation is an interesting theory but seems far less likely in my opinion.
I'd be interested to see if there is still a DO reduction if you add pasteurized SG... or if DO decreases in a sterile medium with a pure culture of L. amylovorus or any other LAB purported to uptake oxygen.
There's a lot known about lactic acid bacteria but there's nothing to show that they uptake oxygen that I've ever seen.

I saw one microbiological study about acidification with grain that used a variety of grain from different maltsters and different years. It showed that (at the particular incubation temp they used) Lactobacillus is not the most common lactic acid bacteria on grain that acidifies wort. Leuconostoc spp. are far more common. Why does Kunze call out L. amylovorus specifically?

No disrespect to the author. Textbooks are revised constantly, across all scientific fields. New info and new ways of understanding things are brought to light continually.

The big breweries are starting with deoxygenated water, mashing in, with purged grain, into purged vessels. The have no need for any other deoxygenation methods. So don't confuse the hacks we use, compared to what they do.

On a 5 gallon pale lager batch you are probably going to use 1l of SG in the batch. you are diluting a 19L batch with 1L of flavored low strength acid, you will certainly notice this nuance flavor, and its meant to be noticed. Much like all German brewing.
Can't argue with that!

I've been watching this thread with interest. I also see lactic acid and YOS with bread yeast as more controllable and repeatable (and convenient) means to their respective ends. I DO understand that SG is one elusive element of the characteristic flavor of German beers, and how it contributes to each brewery's house character. QUESTION: Is there any reason that SG would be preferable for the purposes of acidification and deoxygenation for those of us who are NOT trying to replicate authentic German beers, but are simply seeking to reduce or eliminate HSA in other styles?

Did you ever try this RH? I have to admit i find this subject fascinating although somewhat confusing. Is a sauergut reactor basically a de oxygenated lacto starter?

Back