alternate sugar help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahuskey

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good alternate fermentable sugar to use other than dextrose. Dextrose is a little pricey. Can I use anything from the grocery store that I can use to make a good quality beer?
I seen baking sugar. It draws my interest, but I can't find any useful help on the web. Can anyone help.

Yes, you can use table sugar for brewing. If you're priming with it you can use a calculator like http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php to figure the amount. Different sugars give different flavors, you can try brown, demerara, white, cane. Bakers sugar is highly refined cane sugar, and won't add much flavor, just ethanol.

Thank you so much. I was always told to stay away from table sugar for beer. Are there any recipes for a high abv beer that include table sugar?

Thank you so much. I was always told to stay away from table sugar for beer. Are there any recipes for a high abv beer that include table sugar?

Pick a Belgian ...... any Belgian! Candi sugar is essentially inverted cane sugar (same thing, but the inversion process at high temperature adds some color and caramel taste).

Many British beers use cane sugar as part of their make up too.

A word of warning. Although a small amount of sugar can be used successfully when brewing, don't overdo it. Using excessive amounts of sugar can result in a cidery taste. I never go over about 5% of the total fermentables, but you could probably go up to about 10% without any problem.

-a.

A word of warning. Although a small amount of sugar can be used successfully when brewing, don't overdo it. Using excessive amounts of sugar can result in a cidery taste. I never go over about 5% of the total fermentables, but you could probably go up to about 10% without any problem.

Good advice. Some beers do go higher, but you need to know what you are doing and that it fits the style otherwise you could end up with an off-putting alcohol taste and thin tasting beer.

Not sure I agree with the cidery taste comment.

I used table sugar in A LOT of brewing applications... before I discovered my LHBS has 5 gallon buckets full of corn sugar for $.79 a pound. So I use that just for availability, but not necessarily because I think it is better than cane sugar.

I will mix it into my starters providing up to half the fermentables to cut down on expensive extract use. When I do this I add raisins and/or a packet of old yeast (Montrachet yeast packets are .$45 a pop at my LHBS) to provide some extra nutrients.

You can use it to prime. Since such a small amount of fermentables are added at priming, there is no difference in taste between corn and table sugar.

You can use it in batches of beer. Belgian styles thrive on sugar. It is not like inversion suddenly removes the possibility of cidery tastes, it just adds colors and other tastes.

In my experiences, it takes more than just sugar to give a cidery taste. You need to ferment it hot on top of using a lot of sugar. As long as you don't overdo it (an exact figure I cannot give since I have not tested it to failure) cider shouldn't last any longer than typical green beers.

However, one thing I would watch out for in using sugar is the yeast. If your fermentables are a large percentage sugar, I would worry more about lazy yeast then off flavors. Yeast, like all living organisms, live efficiently. They will go after the simple sugars first, and sometimes they crap out without touching the grain-based sugars. So look into staggered sugar additions and other techniques like that!

-a.

I've used up to 18% (4lb in a 10gal batch) of table sugar in my belgian tripel and there is no cidery taste. Could it happen, sure but it has never happened to my brews when I use regular sugar. I think the cidery taste from table sugar is more of a boogie man like hot side areation.

I routinely use table sugar for bottle priming. No off-flavors. No problems.

For higher gravity beers, I like to use up to 10% sugar to help with attenuation. I've used molasses, brown sugar, turbinado, demera, and sucanat (dried sugar cane juice) with good results.

Thanks so much on the advise from everyone! It looks like I will be brewing a Belgian with table sugar. I did a little research on inverting table sugar into rock candy basically. Though I am confused. Wouldn't the wort have enough acid to invert the table sugar added? I'm using a five gallon bucket to make a Belgian triple. Would 5 lbs of table sugar be over kill? I'm still a noob but I'm wanting to create an awesome high abv brew.

ahuskey said:
Thanks so much on the advise from everyone! It looks like I will be brewing a Belgian with table sugar. I did a little research on inverting table sugar into rock candy basically. Though I am confused. Wouldn't the wort have enough acid to invert the table sugar added? I'm using a five gallon bucket to make a Belgian triple. Would 5 lbs of table sugar be over kill? I'm still a noob but I'm wanting to create an awesome high abv brew.

I've never brewed a tripel, but 5 lbs of table sugar seems too much, like 5x too much. I'm not sure I would use more than a pound.

Your right I was looking at the brewers best recipe for Belgian tripel. It calls for only one pound for Belgian candi. Five pounds does sound silly. But my other questions still remain.

5 pounds of table sugar IS overkill. What's great about tripels are that they are highly drinkable- relatively thin bodied with a dry but full finish and a great fruity flavor.

You'll want an OG of 1.075-1.085 with a FG of 1.008-1.014 to be "in style". You could go up to about 20% sugar with good results, as it's not a malty beer and the sugar will ferment out leaving a lower FG. But any more than that would make a beer that probably wouldn't taste very good.

Yooper's advice is good. For the time being I wouldn't worry about inverting the sugar, it just adds another step to the process. If the recipe works for you, try playing with some different types of sugar or inverting your own. Invert sugar can be quite tasty.

I love Belgians, but remember that high ABV isn't what makes a beer good. There are many amazing beers with low to moderate alcohol, and they may be easier to get right when you're starting out.

Straight from "Brew Like a Monk" .... use sugar for 10-20% of the fermentables.

I brew a lot of Belgians and the 10-20% sugar works great. Plain white sugar work fine, but for variety you can use other sugars also. I like Turbinado sometimes.

Do a search and Revvy has a post about other sugars he has experimented with that he gets at ethnic grocery stores.

Some of those exotic sugars from other countries sounded good. The demerara sugar has nice flavors. I'm going to try some ina pale ale,then prime with it too. I primed with it in my English bitter,but it didn't need much in carbing to style. So I'll have to try it with the amounts found in pale ales & see how much color/flavor I get.

Latest posts

Back