alot of sedement in my bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinfur1

Reaction score
I seem to have alot of sedement in my bottles. The state great but by they are more then just cloudy. I think when I was bottling the yeast cake on the bottom of my 5 gallon bucket was getting stired up from the movement of beer threw the spicket. I'm thinking then that I will have to do a week of fermenting in one bucket, then transfer it into another bucket for about another week before I bottle. I'm just worried about contamination dumping bucket to bucket. Advice???

If you can put together a bottling bucket it will help you a lot.

I just got a food grade bucket from a cafe, bought a $2 valve and it's perfect for bottling. Leaves 1/4" at the bottom when I'm done.

I rack 24hrs before bottling to let it settle

Ferment in 1 bucket or carboy for at least 2 or 3 weeks depending on ur recipe. Use a hydrometer to determine exactly when to bottle. Sipbon carefully, without splashing and without sucking up the yeast cake into ur bottling bucket. Bottle from a bottling bucket, not from ur fermentation vessle. Good luck.

Definitely a lot easier from another bucket. It actually sounds like you already have a bottling bucket and may just need to go to Home Depot and purchase a bucket as your primary fermenter. As long as you sanitize properly, you shouldn't have any issues. The beer is a little more resilient to infection after it has fermented with the alcohol in it, a bigger concern at that point is oxidation. It really is a fairly easy process though and there are tons of how to's on youtube and lots of great advice here.

Or maybe like me,you have a spigot on your primary fessel? I strain chilled wort & top off water into my FV to aerate it,but to also lessen the amount of trub I wind up with at bottling time. That way,the trub level is well below the spigot. After 3-4 weeks in primary,the beer is clear or slightly misty,depending on recipe & yeast used.
Then rack ro a bottling bucket with some tubing on the primary spigot to go around the bottom of the bottling bucket to induce swirling. This will help mix the priming solution with the incoming beer.
After a couple days in the bottles,my beers settle out clear with a light dusting of yeast trub on the bottom.

I'm just worried about contamination dumping bucket to bucket.

Just making sure - you don't want to dump bucket to bucket. Splashing will cause oxidation, which can impact the quality and shelf life of your beer. Use a siphon, if you're not already.

may just need to go to Home Depot and purchase a bucket as your primary fermenter.

The Home Depot all purpose bucket is not food grade. Unless you have a special Home Depot, the only way you can buy food grade buckets from them is through their website, and you have to buy 5 at a time or something. I hear Lowes has a food grade bucket.

The Home Depot all purpose bucket is not food grade. Unless you have a special Home Depot, the only way you can buy food grade buckets from them is through their website, and you have to buy 5 at a time or something. I hear Lowes has a food grade bucket.

My Lowe's buckets do say "Food Grade" on them. The Home Depot buckets I have seen do not.

My bad, wrong store...:drunk:

thanks guys I jsut went and got a auto siphon. yea I was just going to try to slowly pour but did not think about oxidation.

When you transfer to your bottling bucket, have the exit of the siphon at the very bottom of the bucket so it gets covered by beer sooner than later to minimize splashing. With careful racking you can leave pretty much everything behind when you transfer, especially if the primary has had a lot of time to sit still.

Good luck!

Remember that if you bottle carb, you are going to have sediment in your bottles 100% of the time! Bottle carbonation occurs when the yeast in the bottle eat the priming sugar in the bottle. The yeast produce CO2 and multiply, which is the majority of the sediment you see.

The best way to bottle without sediment is to bottle from a keg with a beergun or other counterpressure mechanism.

Back