Almost eREADY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably throw it back on ebay and hope I can get some of my money back. I'd love to send it to a good home though.

Version 2.0 of panel door layout. This is with the 20x16 aluminum enclosure. Obviously a ton more room, almost feel guilty about spreading everything out so much. Looking for opinions/critique....
20120308_150528.jpg

Verify the space underneath and that the components won't interfere with the wall, the seals, etc.

You also have to be able to get wires to the connectors and they can stick out a bit from the mounting screws where you screw town the wiring connectors.

You'll appreciate the extra room between items once you start wiring everything together. The backside of my panel became noticeably cramped once all the wires found their way around.

Looking really good man! Are you happy with the quality of the ebay parts (from jamesbondtb)? I was just checking their stuff out and the prices are really good. How long did shipping take?

The parts are cheaply made, but this is typical for these kinds of parts. They're all from China, regardless of where they're "shipped" from. I do like the switch metal enclosures. I recommend being patient with the plastic stuff, don't try to force anything together or apart. To be honest I have not tested anything electrical yet.

I ordered the parts on 02/27/2012 received on 03/05/2012. Not bad I suppose.

I ordered from eBay seller citynight209...it took 26 days...airmail...that was a REALLY slow plane lolol. Everything I've ordered that has come from China has been ok quality. Just make sure and always give yourself at least a month leadtime on shipping.

summerofgeorge said:
Looking really good man! Are you happy with the quality of the ebay parts (from jamesbondtb)? I was just checking their stuff out and the prices are really good. How long did shipping take?

Be careful with those Chinese parts! Most of them if not all are not UL listed! Probably why they are so cheap.

mux said:
Be careful with those Chinese parts! Most of them if not all are not UL listed! Probably why they are so cheap.

I just wantto remind everyone even auber gets their parts from china. I had a back ordered part and when i called to get a eta they told me the shipment was coming in from china in a week or so. So even the reputable companies ge there stuff from china!

dcarroll86 said:
I just wantto remind everyone even auber gets their parts from china. I had a back ordered part and when i called to get a eta they told me the shipment was coming in from china in a week or so. So even the reputable companies ge there stuff from china!

That's fine they also purchase from china! Just keep a fire extinguisher near by -when not using UL listed parts.

Why would not something not be UL approved if it's made in China? 99% of any electronics you buy in North America is made overseas so it has to be CSA (Canada) or UL (USA) approved.

Where it's made vs where it's used are two completely unrelated things. 99% of the stuff made over there is made for use elsewhere so they have to follow the rules of the countries they are selling to if they want to be able to sell to those countries. You are correct that if you're buying from overseas it's up to the buyer to make sure of this of course, but it's (generally speaking) not something I'd worry too much about.

Here's a picture of a "cheap chinese switch" I use in my control panel. You can clearly see the UL/CSA approval on the contactor:

IMG_1172.jpg

It's a Telemecanique contactor, made in China. (the contactor is the part you care about in a switch as it's the part that carries the voltage/current).

Note that some non-reputable sellers/manufacturers may use counterfeit parts and just print on the approval. That's a whole other (unrelated) issue.

Kal

I am completely satisfied with everything I get from China. Usually it's so cheap that even if it's not 100% I can still use it for something. Of course I could buy industrial grade switches and lights (which would still be made in China, but under strict adherence to specifications) but it would be 10 times the price. I looked up pilot lights I've used at work, the real ones, they're like $60 a piece. The type I purchased were $2 a piece. They are cheap, and yes, would break easily if abused, but they're cheap enough to have a small stock of spares!

As far as safety goes, I'm not worried about it. These things have been in used for years and I don't see a thread anywhere about dead brewers or house fires. They work as intended. All in all as long as you read the sometimes cryptic specs on the parts, get a good price, and have the patience for shipping you'll [most likely] be satisfied.

Just pointing it out for those that don't know any better. Have a nice day!

Did you go with the 2 inch probe? If so why not 4"? Just getting an idea before I order my rtds. Also curious as to how you will be mounting these. Weldless or welded?

Did you go with the 2 inch probe? If so why not 4"? Just getting an idea before I order my rtds. Also curious as to how you will be mounting these. Weldless or welded?

Went wwith the 1.5" with 1/2NPT Threads. Except for the boil kettle, I'm putting my temp probes in a Tee at the bottom drain output. I'll be recircing MT and HLT almost all the time. BK will ust be in the wall.

Spent all night last night wiring my panel. Still have about 10% left. Forgot to take pictures...sorry. I'll take some tomorrow.

Spent all night last night wiring my panel. Still have about 10% left. Forgot to take pictures...sorry. I'll take some tomorrow.

Who the hell is gonna care when it's all done? I'd like a time lapse...scratching head...tearing it all apart...putting it all back together...still dosen't work...wait a minute...WHOA...HOLY ()&^ it works!!!! Add a Benny Hill soundtrack and DONE!

Edit: Sorry, had a few last night.

Thanks for the info and pic about Auber's "deluxe probe kits" - I never scrolled down far enough to see that option on the product's page. That's a really nice option - now I don't have to do any of the small soldering work on the panel end of the probes or figure out if I want to reinforce the cables like Kal did.

At $9 it's a no-brainer upgrade.

Why would not something not be UL approved if it's made in China?
UL actually had different ratings. All cost money. You would be surprised what ISN'T UL "Listed". I worked for a major manufacturer of appliances. They wouldn't spring for the 'listed' label but paid for the lesser. It's all about money.

Leviton plugs are on the way. Still waiting on the Power Meter from China......sigh. I knew it would be awhile but man this boat is slow. I also got my 10/4 and 10/3 power cord (extension cord type) to use for the elements and to plug the main panel in. Shopping for the 50A GFCI Span Panel, but I'm wondering if I should just buy the 60A panel since I ran 6 gauge wire to the panel.

Anyway I put a mount on the panel.......
20120315_161441.jpg

20120315_161848.jpg

l3asturd said:
Leviton plugs are on the way. Still waiting on the Power Meter from China......sigh. I knew it would be awhile but man this boat is slow. I also got my 10/4 and 10/3 power cord (extension cord type) to use for the elements and to plug the main panel in. Shopping for the 50A GFCI Span Panel, but I'm wondering if I should just buy the 60A panel since I ran 6 gauge wire to the panel.

Anyway I put a mount on the panel.......

China! What are you thinking?
This is just a joke- it is only a joke- for those with no sense of humor please disregard. But they won't.

China! What are you thinking?
This is just a joke- it is only a joke- for those with no sense of humor please disregard. But they won't.

It's Ultra-UL Listed with 14 certificates of authenticity! :)

Back