Allow smoking in our new pub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should our new brewpub allow smoking?

• Yes! Places like this should allow smoking.

• On the fence - I may come in occasionally if smoking were allowed inside.

• I would never set foot in that stink-hole if smoking were allowed.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Most people don't smoke and most people do not like the smell. So I would just do what the majority of your customers would prefer, no smoking inside.

That's looking like it's shaping up. Keep posting pictures so we can all live the dream vicariously through you.

I will be thrilled to do so ! The brewing rooms are nearly finished (waiting on doors and floor paint), and as soon as I get my kettles and fermenters I'll throw everything in there and run some tests. The rest of the building is very close, I'd say 2 or 3 weeks away from being able to open.
I'll update with pics in another thread, and I'll link to it here soon.

Indeed it is a dream come true, and I am tremendously grateful to my cousin who believes in me so much to give me this opportunity (it is on his dime). I am incredibly lucky and I'm so happy to have this as a family project.

Cheers, see ya in another thread or hopefully in the pub !

Well, I'm not sure if this was said already, but by making it a smoking pub, you limit the amount of potential customers you can have. I wouldn't do it. You would lose me for sure :p

I'm not a smoker, and never have been. But in all honesty, it frustrates the crap out of me when the government starts regulating personal freedoms, including smoking. Not trying to start a debate here, so take that for what it's worth. With that said, I applaud you for taking the time to consider the topic.

After reading quite a few responses, I think you have a lot of great information here. If I were in your position, I would probably start out by making it a non-smoking place, and see where it goes from there. If business is doing well, leave it be. If you feel like you could gain a few more customers, then consider an outside smoking area against allowing it indoors. One way or another, you'll likely lose customers, but its ultimately your decision. But I like the outdoor sheltered idea best. Keep them out of the wind and rain, and I'm sure you'd gain at least a few enthusiasts at your place.

There's other laws and taxation which have become common that infringe upon a smoker's personal rights, but banning public smoking is for the protection of others, and doesn't take away the rights of a smoker.

The "Fist Swinging" metaphor applies here.

Has anyone in your area successfully done a non-smoking bar/restaurant? I'd be leery of being the trailblazer there.

Some places are better at setting up smoking areas than others. If it were me, I'd set up a smoking area provided I could keep it reasonably separate from the non-smoking area. The best solutions I've seen that still allow smoking are those that set up a separate room and bar area from the non-smoking portion of the restaurant.

If you can't adequately keep that separation, I'd try out non-smoking until I determined whether or not it impacted sales negatively. It's far easier to go from non-smoking to smoking than the other way around.

I voted fence.

I've never smoked, and don't really like being around it, but I can deal.
Virginia changed over to no smoking a year ago, i think, and its nice, especially in restaurants. personally, i think not smoking in your typical bar is a bit odd and I've always just dealt with the smoke. my parents, grandparents and other family members smoked when i was growing up so its something I've always dealt with. basically, i prefer nonsmoking, but its not a deal breaker for me

I think, most importantly here is that you and your partners are starting a business and you have to look after that first and foremost. Make an informed decision based on your projected client base and go with it, but be prepared to make changes if needed.

I will be thrilled to do so ! The brewing rooms are nearly finished (waiting on doors and floor paint), and as soon as I get my kettles and fermenters I'll throw everything in there and run some tests. The rest of the building is very close, I'd say 2 or 3 weeks away from being able to open.
I'll update with pics in another thread, and I'll link to it here soon.

Indeed it is a dream come true, and I am tremendously grateful to my cousin who believes in me so much to give me this opportunity (it is on his dime). I am incredibly lucky and I'm so happy to have this as a family project.

Cheers, see ya in another thread or hopefully in the pub !

OT

What kind of menu are you planning? I want to open a brewpub someday, at the other end of the state.

Tennessee is slowly going smoke free. A lot of smaller cities ban it in restaurants now, and larger cities are looking into it. Though smoking in Tennessee is higher than the national average, it is slowly dropping.

I mean this in the nicest possible way.

If I found out that a brewery had the choice to go non-smoking and chose smoking, I'd seriously question the integrity of the brewing process.

I'd ask myself, what other compromises were made.

Ask your smoking partners this: "How would you feel about a brewery adding a mildly carcinogenic compound to the beer because it would cater to more people?"

If BMC did that, you know you'd be all over that, even if it were trace amounts.

They changed the law a couple of years ago in Oregon. The State telling a business owner what perfectly legal actions can or cannot occur in their establishments?!?!?!?!?!?

I was a very strong opponent to the law when they were still deciding it.

Well, they passed it and smoking is now banned in all bars. Sucks right?

Hell no, I freaking LOVE IT!!!!! I can't believe that I used to sit in a smokey bar.

And I'm a smoker!

If I found out that a brewery had the choice to go non-smoking and chose smoking, I'd seriously question the integrity of the brewing process.

Ask your smoking partners this: "How would you feel about a brewery adding a mildly carcinogenic compound to the beer because it would cater to more people?"

If BMC did that, you know you'd be all over that, even if it were trace amounts.

If I found out a brewery used this sort of convoluted non-logic, I'd seriously question their ability to even brew beer.

Geez, they are not adding carcinogens to the beer any more than you do everytime you drive a vehicle, mow your lawn, etc.

Drama queen post imo.

They changed the law a couple of years ago in Oregon. The State telling a business owner what perfectly legal actions can or cannot occur in their establishments?!?!?!?!?!?

I was a very strong opponent to the law when they were still deciding it.

Well, they passed it and smoking is now banned in all bars. Sucks right?

Hell no, I freaking LOVE IT!!!!! I can't believe that I used to sit in a smokey bar.

And I'm a smoker!

I totally agree, I smoke too and hate drinking/eating in a smoky room. I'd much rather eat/drink indoors and go outside to smoke.

What brewery doesn't have the choice to go non-smoking? I've seen the anti-smoking laws but I have never in my life seen a law compelling a place to accommodate smokers.

If I found out a brewery used this sort of convoluted non-logic, I'd seriously question their ability to even brew beer.

Geez, they are not adding carcinogens to the beer any more than you do everytime you drive a vehicle, mow your lawn, etc.

Drama queen post imo.

They are adding them to the brewpub experience.

Using your mowing of the lawn example.

What if they decided to mow the lawn during operational hours right outside a patio area to save money. It's a conscious decision which affects my experience negatively.

BTW, your opinion about the nature of my post isn't really germane to the discussion. I'm just making that transparent.

151080_158840844158980_155727861136945_271489_6834196_n.jpg

Is that the place on 111, just before the Dunlap exit?

I'm allergic to smoke so I can't take too much of it. If there's GOOD ventilation it's ok, nearly all bars around here have 8 ft. ceilings with zero ventilation.

Those places really believed that thier beer [needed to] be tasted and smelled under the best conditons, and they felt that a smoky room wasn't condusive to that.

+1 Revvy

I want to taste beer. When I smoked, everything tasted and smelled like smoke. If I am around it in a closed off room, it still smells like smoke and that ruins my experience.

It really is amazing how the smell travels. My wife works in an open office and only one of her co-workers smokes. He smokes outside of course, but just from working in the same room she stinks to high heaven when she gets home. And now her car has started smelling all the time.

Back on topic: best of luck with the new venture, whatever you choose! Keep the pictures coming, too.

-Joe

I voted no. Smokey air will affect the way your beer and food tastes. Remember, you taste with your nose first, and the aromas of your brews and food will be mixed in with nasty cigarette smoke.

A lot of the brew pubs in my area have been smoke free for this reason even before the law mandated that all restaurants be smoke free.

I can't count the number of times I can smell someone's dope smoking in a car in front of me. When you smoke you lose the ability to smell and taste. Add THC to the mix and I think these guys think they are invisible too.

I can't count the number of times I can smell someone's dope smoking in a car in front of me. When you smoke you lose the ability to smell and taste. Add THC to the mix and I think these guys think they are invisible too.

We do it to keep from killing other drivers or taking life too seriously. Not only should pot be legal, it should be mandatory.

"Smoke this. It's the law."

I'm making the point that people that do not smoke can detect smoke better than those that smoke. This, even when it is in the smoker's best interest not to be detected.

The legality of pot is not up for debate here.

I vote no smoking inside. I smoked for a while and now use snus, but I love bars that are smoke-free, though if smoking is allowed it won't stop me from going.

On a personal note, I find if I go to a bar that allows smoking, it is a given I will be hungover the next day, regardless of amount of alcohol consumed. Smoke-free bars don't give me a hangover unless I drink too much.

This poll saddens me, as someone who works for a cigar company.

Exactly my thoughts from an earlier post.

If I ever had the chance to open something like this, I'd do my best to have a VIP/Invite Only room for cigars and pipes (the legal kind of pipes, sorry bendbrewer)...

Just chiming in, I for one go to bars a lot more now that NC (!) has a smoking ban in place; smokers were outspoken when it was up for debate, but I will stay longer and spend more if it's not smoky. Frankly, no matter what beers you have or what food you're serving, I'd probably not stay to eat if I walked into your pub and it was filled with smoke. If I had kids with me, I wouldn't bother walking 3 feet past the door.

A cigar room would be great, but as that's not a fiscal option here as far as I understand, I think non-smoking with a decent patio is your best bet. Several places in this progressive Southern town have them, and I haven't noticed a real rush to hang out outdoors unless the weather's great.

Is that the place on 111, just before the Dunlap exit?

Dunlap exit (the one that starts up the mountain from Soddy Daisy) is about 15-20 miles north of this. This is right off the Morrison Springs exit in Red Bank, just north of Chattanooga and the river.

We have talked about this in person and you know how I feel about it. Do NOT allow smoking in this place. It is not a bar. It is a brewpub. If they want to smoke they can walk 100 ft to the Rusty Duck and smoke themselves silly. By offering a smoke free environment, you are giving everyone in that area an option they don't currently have as most places (Rusty Duck, Diamond Billiards, Terry's, etc) are all smoking establishments.

A deck out back could be done relatively cheap and I'd even be willing to help you build it!!1

You know I will come in some either way, but I would be in MUCH more often and with MANY more people if it were smoke free...

And YOU QUIT SMOKING RIGHT?!? **prepares to punch Budzu in the throat if he's smoking again**

What I need to know is: will this brewpub be in Soddy? We need somewhere near that serves a decent pint. Beck's Dark at Steve's Landing just doesn't cut it. Also, Budzu, check your private messages.

I am an avid pipe smoker and cigar nut, never had a cigarette in my life.

I think if you're going to allow smoking the areas should be restricted and a proper ventilation system should be installed, this means something like a smokeeater that is designed just for smoking rooms. Most people I know can handle people smoking if the proper equipment is involved.

I also think the average brewpub goer would rather a few people smoking cigars then a room full of people smoking cigarettes, but it'd be pretty tough to discriminate who can do what.

Put it this way, I'd drink in a bar that allows smoking, maybe. I'd never eat in an establishment that has smoking, cigar or otherwise. I just can't stand the taste of food mixed with smoke, especially since aroma is a huge part of taste.

What I need to know is: will this brewpub be in Soddy? We need somewhere near that serves a decent pint. Beck's Dark at Steve's Landing just doesn't cut it. Also, Budzu, check your private messages.

I feel you on that. Wouldn't Steve's landing be great for a brewpub??
We'll be as close as you can get to Soddy for now, it will be worth the drive :)

Opening day right now is scheduled for Dec. 17. We will be serving 8 great craft brews on tap, along with samples of mine (it will be a bit longer on getting permit approvals). TTB forms went out 3 or 4 weeks ago.

As to the smoking, I've spoken my peace on the matter to everyone involved. At this point it is up the King. He has been reading this thread as well.

As to the smoking, I've spoken my peace on the matter to everyone involved. At this point it is up the King. He has been reading this thread as well.

Hopefully the King will see that times they are changing. I didn't read the whole thread, just a few snippets, but I read your original question. You said this is an Irish-themed pub. Ireland is currently in the process of banning smoking in pubs (or has by this time, I was there about a year ago), in case no one mentioned that in the many pages of this thread.

And on a personal note, although I really don't care about sucking in 2nd hand smoke, I REALLY HATE/DESPISE smelling like smoke after I've been in a place that allows smoking. The ban of smoking in any public location is actually one of the very few things I completely appreciate about being in California.

Back