Allergic to lacto sours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOktoberfest

Reaction score
So last night I had to dump one of these guys...

image-1027241657.jpg

I started getting that super saliva production, like just before you throw up and a funny feeling in my throat. It happened another time with a hansson's experimental current. And now that I'm putting it all together I think it is lacto sours. Brett seem to be just fine. Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any fixes? Like a clairtin? I'll do anything, I love these beers

It is probably not an allergy, and more likely a reaction to the lactic acid or just the acidity in general. Does the same thing happen when you have yogurt?

Interesting .. I start hacking up a thick mucus reaction to dry hopped beers only. Real shame cause they taste amazing. I feel your pain.

Randy_Bugger said:
An intense sour beer should make your mouth water.

Yeah, I get that. I've experienced sour things before. :mug:

ColoHox said:
It is probably not an allergy, and more likely a reaction to the lactic acid or just the acidity in general. Does the same thing happen when you have yogurt?

No, I've not experienced anything like this before. Except the watering of the mouth like just before one pukes.

I'm actually drinking a cisco brewers island reserve saison farm house ale. It is quite a bit more lacto than I was expecting and so far no problems. Maybe this is has more to do with something else that is more common in beers with less English on their labels?

Also, to be clear, Im using lacto to distinguish between sour tasting vs. "sour" funky tasting Brett. I'm sure there are a great many other bugs swimming around in our sours that I do not have the vocabulary for.

Update on the cisco. Started getting the same reaction although not as extreme and started much slower. I popped a bunch of tums which seemed to reduce much of the reaction I was having. So this is some sort of acid reflux maybe? Who knows... No one else has had this? Oh well, thanks for the replys so far.

i get the same feeling when i drink tea. sometimes it will actually make me hurl. weird.

Back