All-In-One Fermentis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Highlights:

SafBrew™ DA-16 is a powerful solution (consisting of Active Dry Yeast and enzymes) for the production of very dry and flavorful beers, particularly fruity and hoppy ones such as Brut IPAs. The perfect solution to make deliciously dry, fruity beers and amazing aromas, in a variety of ABV levels. SafBrew™ DA-16 is also recommended for very high gravity wort, allowing a level of alcohol up to 16% ABV.

This yeast is part of the SafBrew™ All-In-1™ solution from Fermentis, yeasts which include enzymes and nutrients in addition to yeast; the added ingredients breaking down more unfermentables to give both a lower starting gravity and a higher alcohol tolerance. Designed for fruity, woody beers with a slighty acidic note. Ferments very high gravity worts, and has an alcohol tolerance of 17%.

SafBrew™ HA-18 is a powerful solution (consisting of POF+ Active Dry Brewer’s Yeast and enzymes) for the production of high-gravity and particularly high alcoholic beers – such as strong ales, barley wines, and barrel-aged beers with very high starting gravities. It has a very good resistance to osmotic pressure and high fermentation temperatures (thermotolerant yeast). HA-18 will also produce phenols, giving a potential clove or spicy flavor to the beverage.

SafBrew™ LD-20 is the perfect choice for the production of very dry and neutral lager beers with reduced residual sugars. SafBrew™ LD-20 is made of both active dry yeast and enzymes and allows the production of beers containing the same level of alcohol with a reduction of up to 20% of carbohydrates including dextrins. Perfect for producing dry crispy lager beers such as session lagers and cold IPAs.

Fermentis All-In-1™ is a new line of yeast developed with other micro-organisms, typically a mix of yeast and enzymes, which when combined, achieve higher sugar attenuation, for stronger and drier beers.
Pretty sure that each one of those contains only a single micro-organism. The only thing added is glucoamylase*, and it's a lot cheaper to buy that separately. DW-17 is the only one that's actually a new product. They all attenuate 100%, so don't use them unless you want a bone dry beer.

*the enzyme does come from a different micro-organism, so there's that.

Safbrew says LD-20 ("Lethal Dose"?) was developed because of the low-carb craze. Which ended in like 2011, I think.

Ingredients: Yeast (Saccharomyces pastorianus), Maltodextrin, Glucoamylase from Aspergillus niger (EC 3.2.1.3), Emulsifier E491 (sorbitan monostearate)

I don't think this one is for me. As noted above, amylase is already out there, and I don't really like extremely dry beer.

I remember throwing Beano in stubborn beers. Vicious stuff.

Anyone tried this stuff yet?
I haven't (yet). And, when starting out in certain topics, I'm OK with paying for convenience.

eta: yes, I could buy the pieces and figure out how to glue them together. But for many topics, life is too short to put up with the stuff that one has to read through to find a good answer.

I regularly brew a Brut IPA with US-05 and glucoamylase. Which I'm pretty sure is exactly what DA-16 is. It does exactly what it says it does - ferments to <1.000.

In fact, I've got one in the fermenter now.

I would suggest hopping gently with these. There's not going to be much of anything left to balance the bitterness.

My messing around with glucoamylase has me believing it's tricky to use pre-boil, and uncontrollable post-boil.

As a first experiment I used it on a couple of quarts of leftover double imperial stout that didn't fit in two kegs. A 1/4 tsp of gluco' took that from 1.023 down to 1.005 or 6, can't remember for sure, but it was in that ballpark.

More recently I used it in a mash for an IPA, but didn't realize the total denaturing regimen "requires heating at 95C/203F for 10 minutes or at 100C/212F for 3 minutes - typical beer pasteurization temperatures will not totally inactivate glucoamylase." Yeah, ok, that's on me, should have found that out in advance. The recipe normally finishes at 1.015~6 but the gluco'd batch clocked in at 1.006. Eeep! I may have to blend that one with a wimpy pale! :oops:

Cheers!

So not really repitchable, if the same result is the aim. Why didn’t they simply package enzymes in a separate sachet? Cunning. Shareholders must be happy, though.

A quantum pitch. Sounds sciency.
Well, I have noticed that yeast counts are always in whole cells.
I'm going with Mashdar on this one. If you try to pitch exactly one cell, then there's a 37% chance that you will actually pitch zero cells. So it really is sort of a Schrodinger's pitch.

If you try to pitch exactly one cell, then there's a 37% chance that you will actually pitch zero cells. So it really is sort of a Schrodinger's pitch.

In a couple weeks, I'll take a look and bring beer into existence (probably).

Or the superposition will expand and you'll split into two divergent yous.

I only see one me, so I'm afraid I have to reject that on the totally solid grounds of personal incredulity.

A few nopes... OP's question remains... Has anyone tried this yet?
1707587530313.jpeg

As I mentioned above, DW-17 is the only one that's actually a new product. So yeah, maybe it is mildly surprising that no one here has tried any of the others. I know that HA-18 in particular has been around for years, but then again how much demand is there for a product designed to make very dry high alcohol beers?
So maybe make a 6% brut IPA as a starter then re-pitch in a 15% RIS?
Just let me know if you want the cake from the brut that's in my fermenter now. :yes:
eta: Any idea what the yeast strain(s) might be?
I think that DW-17 might be the new BW-20, based only on the fact that both are new products and the profiles are superficially similar. HA-18 is POF+ so maybe T-58? But the alcohol tolerance seems to argue against that.

I have used beano to successfully clone Bud Light (you can ask why but it was a challenge experiment). It was a tad darker since I used extract but taste and feel were good.

Now that Belle Saison is replaced in 11g packs by Farmhouse and the latter is not diastatic, (no dextrin breaking glucoamylase enzyme generated) attenuation is less and brews will be less dry.
So I was thinking to put Beano in with the Farmhouse to dry it up some.

I will try that sometime in the next few months.

Back