All Grain split batch stove top configuration question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been working to nail down my efficiency issues and finally got it figured out. My water amount calculations have been way off. Now I currently separate the wort into 2 pots. So I have 6.5 gallons of wort from the mash tun and I drain that into 2 4 gallon pots at 3.25 gallons each. One pot has very concentrated wort and the other has pretty watered down wort. So in the search for more consistency, and to resolve my boil over issues, I've ordered two of the following

Pots

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-Kettle-quart-Stainless/dp/B001TAENXK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=344EJLVECEDAS&dchild=1&keywords=bayou+classic+1420&qid=1584370709&sprefix=bayou+classic+14,aps,191&sr=8-1

3 way tee

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1-2-in-dia-Brass-PEX-Tee-Crimp-Fitting/1000183001

This will help out with my boil over issues, due to the extra head space, hopefully and also measurement due to the marks on the sides. I'm cooking on a glass top electric (non induction) stove top so the thinner the pot the better. For cooling I've been using ice in the sink (my sink has two sides) and that's been working for years. Anywho here's an idea I'm going to implement for the next batch

Mash Tun
I
I
Hose
I
I
1/2 inch 3 way tee
I I
I I
Pot 1 Pot 2

I have attached a better diagram since it appears this did not format cleanly

I figure in this setup I will get identical pre boil wort in both pots and this would help in making things more consistent. I'm limited with what I can do setup wise as the wife insists I keep my setup cheap and practical (means stove top since power is cheaper than gas/propane and have to keep the gear stash size down). Luckily I have an ice machine right next door to my neighborhood so ice is DIRT cheap. It typically only takes 40lbs of ice to cool down a split batch setup to to low 60's F within 30 min or so. Anywho does anyone think this would work?

P.S. I've been doing split batches for 3 years now. I started out doing 2 2.5 gallon biab batches and mixing them together after the boil and that worked out well. I got an offer I couldn't refuse on a fly sparge setup so I had to bite lol

Attachments

• Setup.png
    Setup.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I had a similar process to you for several years. Only difference is that I collected into a single vessel (like a bottling bucket) and then transferred it into the 2 pots after collecting all of the wort. Your "T" idea seems like a simpler solution, though.

Your T-lauter system is nifty, but perhaps overly complicated?
I use a converted cooler mash tun sitting on a low bench about 12" above the floor. I batch sparge and lauter into a "half" bucket, then pour the wort into the kettle which sits on an induction plate on the countertop. You could pour half of the drained wort into one and the other half into the other kettle.

Something to watch for:
My (main) brew kettle has a triple-ply bottom, no issues.
But my second kettle (used to heat sparge water and whatnot) is an 8 gallon, single-ply (read: fairly thin bottom) Polarware kettle. I noticed something quite alarming with that on my glass top stove, containing a gallon (or 2) of water (or wort). The element gets really (red) hot which deforms the bottom, then it pops, scaringly loud when it springs back. You may not have that problem if your pots are sturdier, smaller or narrower, but watch out for that. I don't think that popping action is good for the glass top. I stopped using that kettle on my glass top stove for that reason. But I noticed it happening on the induction plate too if I set it to too high a power level.

Are you stuck with needing to boil inside?
Do you have an outdoors area you can use? In which case, I would recommend a turkey fryer propane burner. There are pricey ones available, but basic ones are like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bayou-C...r-with-High-Pressure-Regulator-SP-1/100164633
and an 8 - 10 gallon pot - I used the 32 quart Graniteware, for around $40 for quite a while.
You'll be able to do a full boil that way, not have to worry about splitting the boil evenly.
There's other options as well, electric brewing and so on, but this is pretty simple and similar to what you have now.

Are you stuck with needing to boil inside?
Do you have an outdoors area you can use? In which case, I would recommend a turkey fryer propane burner. There are pricey ones available, but basic ones are like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bayou-C...r-with-High-Pressure-Regulator-SP-1/100164633
and an 8 - 10 gallon pot - I used the 32 quart Graniteware, for around $40 for quite a while.
You'll be able to do a full boil that way, not have to worry about splitting the boil evenly.
There's other options as well, electric brewing and so on, but this is pretty simple and similar to what you have now.

Yep I'm stuck inside. Long story short power is much cheaper and I do not have to worry about running out of fuel during the brew. I have some pretty sturdy pots and tested out the rig with 7 gallons of water draining from the mash tun into the pots. It works perfectly! The main reason I wanted to go this route is so I can accurately measure my pre boil gravity. What I have been doing is draining the mlt into 1 4 gallon pot (filling it up to 3.25 gallons) then draining the rest into another 4 gallon pot (again filling up to 3.25 gallons) for a pre boil measurement of 6.5 gallons. My measured boil off rate is 1.5 gallons per hour. Eventually I'd like to run a 220 outlet into the garage and work on an electric setup but for right now I have to do what is needed to improve the craft, cheaply, while keeping the wife happy lol

Back