all grain sizing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm wanting to move up to all grain. been brewing for a little over 3 yrs and love it but was wondering what size AG kit to get for making full 10 gallon batches. wanting to be able to fill 2 kegs when needed. will 10 gallon kit make a full 10 gallons? or should I get a 15 gallon??

I would suggest at least a 15 gallon brew pot. You can either split the ten gallons into two buckets or use 12 to 13 gallon containers.

Agreed, go with a 15gal BK at the least/
You can use a 10gal cooler as your MLT, but you'll find that it'll be too small for a 10gal batch of anything with a larger grain bill. Anything above 1.060 or so, you'll really need to verify that it'll fit in there before you brew.
For the HLT, you can go 10gal also. I have, for a long time and it works fine. However, you'll usually need to fill the HLT and heat it twice. Once for your strike water and again for your sparge water. For that reason, if you can afford to go with a full 15gal kettle setup throughout, I'd recommend that.

I make 10 gallon batches, and up until recently (when I got a bigger MLT), I had a 10 gallon cooler for an MLT and a 10 gallon cooler for an HLT with a 15 gallon keg for a boil kettle. The limiting factor was the size of the MLT- I could mash a max of about 23 pounds of grain for a beer of about 1.065.

Making 10 gallons in a 15 gallon boil kettle works fine, as you start with 12 gallons of wort or so. You just have to watch for boilovers until after the hot break.

Back