All Grain questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kswim612

Reaction score
I'm brand new to homebrew having only brewed 3 extract kits so far. My next kit will include the most specialty grains to impart aroma that I ever have used. In addition I'll be using malt extract. However I have been wondering when I researched all grain why I couldn't just soak malts in my brew kettle and go from there and not using malt extract?

I'm brand new to homebrew having only brewed 3 extract kits so far. My next kit will include the most specialty grains to impart aroma that I ever have used. In addition I'll be using malt extract. However I have been wondering when I researched all grain why I couldn't just soak malts in my brew kettle and go from there and not using malt extract?

Take some time to look into either:

"Partial mash" where you get a portion of the fermentables from doing a mini mash of base grains along with your steeping grains. The difference is then covered using extract. You have to be able to control the water temp more closely than with simple steeping.

"BIAB" is Brew In A Bag where you get all of your fermentables from mashing inside a large mesh bag in the kettle. No extract is used. You need a pretty big kettle (10+ gallons) to do 5-gallon BIAB full-boil batches. You also need to have a way to chill 5-gallons of boiling liquid down into the 60's as quickly as possible (say, 20-30 minutes).

However I have been wondering when I researched all grain why I couldn't just soak malts in my brew kettle and go from there and not using malt extract?
You need to convert the sugars in the the grains by maintaining a proper temperature for a period of time. This requires a bit more control and precision that simply soaking malts. In theory you can do this much as in theory you can bake a cake in your automobile radiator but you really need to know what your are doing.

Back