All Grain Keg Setup Looking For Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying i'm new at all grain.

My original setup was a MLT from a standard 15 gal sanke using the domed stainless steel false bottom, blichman thermometer and SS ball valve. After i set this up i'm amazed at how much liquid i'm not able to get out of the vessel.

I"m thinking about using this as my HLT and going with a bottom drain for the MLT, is this the only way to combat the issue. Whats the best way to go bottom drain for the mash tun?

Also - do many people use a grain bag along with a false bottom to make cleanup easier?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_8225.jpg

Is there a dip tube in there? Some people use a shop vac to clean out the grains. A bag would work too.

No dip tube in this one. I do see some chatter about using a bag i wonder if there would be any decreased efficiency?

I use a dip tube set through my false bottom all the way to the bottom of the sanke keg, I get nearly all the wort to my kettle. Thar looks like a good MLT setup if you can get the grain bed drainage worked out.

a dip tube will help get more of that wort out after mashing/sparging. Without it, you'll have a good amount left since the level will drop lower than the valve. The Dip tube used with a hose connected to the barb will help out a ton and creat that siphon.

a dip tube will help get more of that wort out after mashing/sparging. Without it, you'll have a good amount left since the level will drop lower than the valve. The Dip tube used with a hose connected to the barb will help out a ton and creat that siphon.

Exactly! You don't need a new setup- you just need a diptube. That will decrease your deadspace to almost nothing in the MLT.

I have a bottom draining MLT and it's nice. BUT, it doesn't fix everything and has its own set of considerations, so you may want to think about it more if the only reason to change is to get more wort out from under the false bottom.

Ahhh thank you so much! I was misunderstanding what you meant when you said dip tube, i just need to attach a small piece of hose or SS to the false bottom barb and it will siphon to remove the water... the light bulb just turned on thanks guys!

Also.. this may be a stupid question but do people secure the false bottom to the bottom of the keg, it appears everyone just lets it sit there and gravity does its thing but i was worried about movement and possibly shifting of the false bottom.

40991_1_1.jpg

no need to secure it. grainbed/gravity will hold it fine.
as for cleanup - last brew i used a shop vac for the first time - WOW! that was amazing! that will be the go to from now on.

Shop vac?..............Sounds messy!
I guess iffn' you clean it out immediately, not so bad.
How do you get the sticky grains out of the convolutions / ribs in the vacuum hose?

It seems a piece of 3/4 copper fits snugly in the hole in my false bottom does anyone make their own out bent copper pipe or just but the prefab ones?

It seems a piece of 3/4 copper fits snugly in the hole in my false bottom does anyone make their own out bent copper pipe or just but the prefab ones?

Mine is just a bent piece of copper tubing. I need to work on the fitting though. I recently knocked it out with my mash paddle had to dump into a tote, fix it, and re-establish the grain bed. Weird thing was I didn't drop temperature during all that.

Back