all grain hop burst boil time?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atonofhops

Reaction score
I am making an english mild tomorrow but doing the hop burst method so my hops only need to be boild for 20 minutes. Do I still need to do a full 60 minute boil?

the recipe:

5 lbs mild malt
1 lb carapils
1lb 35l carastan
.5 lb chocolate malt
1 oz motueka hops at 20 minutes left in boil
mashing at 158* with a batch sparage

i would since hop utilization is only one reason for the boil. the boil is a complex process that is best not cut short, not to 20 min anyway.

You need to boil all grain beers for 60-90 minutes to boil off SMS, the precursor to DMS. Extract brewers can get away with shorter boils.

Hop bursting is where you forgo a traditional bittering charge, usually a 60 minute addition, and add all of your hops in the last 15-20 minutes of the boil, up to flameout and hopstanding. The idea is that you are boiling off fewer of the aromatics, but still getting enough alpha acid isomerization to bitter the beer. You either need lots and lots of low apha hops, or a moderate amount of high alpha hops. And indeed the technique is well suited to the use of the newer high alpha, high aroma hops.

Yes, a 60m boil has many benefits beyond alpha acid isomerization, as Captain Damage so nicely stated already. In addition to DMS precursor removal, you also need a good strong boil for a good hot break to improve clarity and 60m boils allow for more maillard (browning) reactions sometimes referred to as "kettle caramelization" that adds depth of flavor to the malt aspect of the beer.

Latest posts

Back