All grain brewers help save the world.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did you know releasing DMS in to the atmosphere helps counter act global warming.

Ergo:

The more we brew the better it is for mankind.

Don't believe me? Go do the research. (Or just google it)

How do I know.

Because I've just updated the Wiki with more DMS content.
Very useful and interesting.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Dimethyl_sulfides

Cool, just when I was working on increasing my carbon footprint with my Banjo Kooker and all the CO2 vented off my fermenters. :D

I read where some oceanologist wants to install big tubes to recirculate ocean water from the deep to the top. They think the nutrients will spur algae growth, which wil release more DMS.

I'm just thinking that we all should Brew To Save Earth.

I like to keep myself neutral, so I like to leak some 134-a every once in a while to offset any good that I may do, because the environment can kiss ass.

GrundleCruncher said:
I like to keep myself neutral, so I like to leak some 134-a every once in a while to offset any good that I may do, because the environment can kiss ass.
or you could just leave it;)
Brew for health Brew for life
JJ

Do a google search on "global warming scam" and see what real scientists have to say and not the Algore scientists. It'll change your mind if your on the global warming bandwagon and use logic rather than emotions to decide.

Let's see, the earth is about ~4 billion years old, We humans came on the scene about 200,000 yrs ago. My question is, who took care of the environment before that?.........:)

Indeed, (scientists claim) there have been times when 95% of life on earth was wiped out...I think compared to events like these what we do makes no difference, the earth will heat up or cool down whether we help it or not

OldFarmer said:
Let's see, the earth is about ~4 billion years old, We humans came on the scene about 200,000 yrs ago. My question is, who took care of the environment before that?.........:)
I know! Those dinosaurs had a huge carbon foot print, they were known for their over use of gas guzzling cars, self inulgent air travel and heavy industry with massive hyrocarbon emissons. Put your feet up farm boy, crank up that AC an crack open another bottle safe in the knowlage that you can do whatever you like without any concequences
:mug:

I've been listening to the global warming pap for at least 25 years now and they are not one step closer to proving their theory. Don't be lazy like everyone else and get your knowledge from the Clinton News Network or the talking heads. READ! They won't stop until the government gets the tax they want. Remember CFC's. No mention of the ozone layer once a 99 cent can of freon went to $25.

What's next? Taxing beer and beer ingredients because beer puts off CO2. Ha!

I think this news means we need to begin subbing Pils malt for regular 2-row; more DMS precursors. Of course, that means we need to do 90-minute boils, meaning we use more propane and release more CO into the atmosphere.... my head hurts :(

Also the conversion of sugars to alcohol produce CO2 and then we carbonate with CO2. We're damned to hell. Oh well, it will help the trees grow faster.
Save the earth. Help trees grow faster by drinking beer. Now that's more like it.

rohanski said:
I've been listening to the global warming pap for at least 25 years now and they are not one step closer to proving their theory. Don't be lazy like everyone else and get your knowledge from the Clinton News Network or the talking heads. READ! They won't stop until the government gets the tax they want. Remember CFC's. No mention of the ozone layer once a 99 cent can of freon went to $25.

What's next? Taxing beer and beer ingredients because beer puts off CO2. Ha!

Proving their theory? C02 holds in heat. Let me repeat that for emphasis. C02 holds in heat! This is a fact. It's a greenhouse gas and it's one of the reasons that we have life on earth. None of your pseudo-science will change that.

Anyway, I'm sure the DMS produced by beer brewing is offset by the C02 formed during fermentation and the C02 created by powering my chest freezers. ;)

Oh well, it's a nice thought.

the_bird said:
I think this news means we need to begin subbing Pils malt for regular 2-row; more DMS precursors. Of course, that means we need to do 90-minute boils, meaning we use more propane and release more CO into the atmosphere.... my head hurts :(

But less than driving to the store for a six pack and much less than it takes for the truck to deliver it and than for the truck driver and the store worker to drive to work.

Go brew and save the world.:ban:

Think about the world as a bi carboy full of wort, and we're all yeast. Well happily multiply until we've used up all the available sugar, then we'll all die off. Those who remain will feast on the dead.

:off:

rohanski: I truly hope that you are joking about the whole global warming thing. If there's anything that you feel is unexplained, confusing, or plain wrong about global warming, I'm sure any number of the members of the scientific community here (myself included) would be glad to clarify. I think that you'll find most of the people in said community agree that GW is real and is a threat; something like above 90% are in agreeance last I heard.

I'll put it in beer terms then I'm signing off on this one.
If you had a friend that kept saying he made great beer but every time you went to visit he gave you a store bought beer. One day you went to visit and he gave you a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and said it was his homade beer but pay no attention to the label. Would you believe him?
I just thought some folks would like to read about it rather than follow conventional wisdom.

Back