All foam corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trobocco

Reaction score
I have made about 5 batches of homebrew in corny kegs w co2. 3 I force Carbed and was getting all foam when I poured. I was able to fix these by filtering beer and carbing again. I thought maybe force carbing was the issue but the last 2 I set the psi to 20 lbs and left them 2 days. I had the same problem all foam when I pour. I can fix by filtering and carbing again but I am sick of wasting the filters. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Btw I am cooling the beer to about 36 before trying to carb.

Are you using a picinic tap or kegerator tap? If you are using a kegerator how long are your lines and are you cooling the tower?

No expert here, I've only been brewing and kegging a short time but I had similar issues.
I think I was over-carbing. I would set my regulator to 30 psi and gently rock the keg back and forth. It ended up very foamy as you describe. To fix the foamy beer, I disconnected both liquid and gas lines and then bled off the pressure through the pin lock. I waited a few hours and repeated the process.
Now I set to 20 psi and rock it back and forth for a few minutes. I repeat the process several times until carbed..
Hope this helps.

-Erik

When I was kegging I tried to force carb quickly like that but ended up with foam everywhere. I decided it would just be better to set the pressure to my serving pressure and let it sit in the keggerator for 10 or so days. Everything was fine after that. It makes it easier to be patient if you have a pipeline of beer ahead of the new batch.

Seems like you're over pressurized now so you will probably have to purge the CO2 several times to get it to come down.

Set it and forget it!

Force carbonating works but it is a science as far as I am concerned.
I would release pressure a few times and just do the set and forget it method.

Thx everyone. I am using the picnic pourer as opposed to a kegerator.

Thx everyone. I am using the picnic pourer as opposed to a kegerator.

In addition to the beer possibly being overcarbed I'd also look at your picnic tap. Take it apart and clean everything really well and make sure when you put it back together that everything is seated and sealed well.

Disturbing the keg is no different than shaking a beer then opening it. Releases the suspended or absorbed co2 causing foaming. 20 psi is ok for force carbonation, but two days is a day too long. Also dependent on the temp and feed lines. Try 30 psi for one 12 hour period then reduce to 12 psi and never move the keg if you do wait a few hours and reabsorption will happen and foam will be managed. Learned tge hard way just carried a keg a few hundred feet for beer convenient and bamm foamed bad. Good luck.

Disturbing the keg is no different than shaking a beer then opening it. Releases the suspended or absorbed co2 causing foaming. 20 psi is ok for force carbonation, but two days is a day too long. Also dependent on the temp and feed lines. Try 30 psi for one 12 hour period then reduce to 12 psi and never move the keg if you do wait a few hours and reabsorption will happen and foam will be managed. Learned the hard way just carried a keg a few hundred feet for beer convenient and bamm foamed bad. Good luck.

Also watch out if you dry hop in the keg. I've had a couple of occasions where the hop bag gets stuck at the bottom where the beverage out is and the result is foam galore.

Back