All Citra Pale Ale (Test Run)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aavila890

Reaction score
ingredients

10lb 2row us
1lb 40l crystal
.5Lb Munich

all citra[13.4] hops
.5oz 60min 22 IBUs
.5oz 20min 13.3 IBUs
.5oz 5min 4.4 IBUs
.5oz flameout 0 IBUs
Total:39.6 IBUs
yeast: American ale wyeast 1056

After a lot of reading and research and a couple extract beer batches under my belt, brewed my first all grain batch today. I decide to keep it simple and just work with all citra hops for this pale ale. Built the typical homedepot mash lauter tun with the braided hose for filtration. Went with a batch sparge to again keep simple for my first all grain brew.Added 5.2 stabilizer to my water and mashed at 151F was hoping for 152F but decided i could live with that. sparged at 168F, stirred vigorously and drained. I was praying for atleast a 70% efficiency and was surprised that i got somewhere around 80% for my first time. I got 7gallons of wort for my preboil at a preboil gravity of 1.050. post boil ended up with about 6gallons and eventually got 5 gallons in my fermenter, a little less than i hoped but at 1.056 OG. Now we play the waiting game and wait to see how this turns out. I plan to to dry hop this baby when i switch to my second fermenter with an oz of citra. Ill try and post some pictures up. :mug:

Switched to my second fermenter this morning and added an oz of citra pellets to dry hop. Going to leave in there for about 10-14 days. noticed my beer is really hazy but im hoping it'll clear out. I'll probably add a whirfloc tablet next time.

Day 6 (Secondary)
gonna let it sit one more day and then im gonna stick it in the fridge for a week to cold crash and try to get this beer as clear as possible

Just put my brew in the fridge, gonna cold crash for 7 days and hope it clears out nicely.
Took off the airlock so no star san gets sucked in. Took a whiff of my brew and smelled in****ingcredible! Sprayed down a paper towel with star san and covered it with plastic. crossing my fingers my carboy doesn't implode :cross:

Almost there! Cold crash finished and I managed to get a ball lock keg kit just in time to carbonate so no bottling hassle. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395940705.473733.jpg
gonna slow carbonate this one. Don't want to take the dirty route. Got a nice whiff of the beer before I racked into the keg and I got huge orange, peach, mango notes, so hopefully it tastes as good as it smells! Hopefully it'll be carbonated in a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks good and I'm going to give this a try. My only substitution will Be to pitch some Notty yeast slurry I'll take from a English Mild I have in fermenter.

I just kegged a Citra pale with a similar grain bill and hop schedule, except mine has Vienna instead of Munich. I also did a 45 min hop stand at 170 with one ounce and dry hopped twice with 2 oz each time. I fermented with wlp029 Kolsch. This beer smells incredible! I can't wait to tap it.

Your beer seems like it would be outstanding. I might have to make a half batch for my wife who LOVES citra hops. Well done. :rockin:

Definitely recommend giving this a try. I got a little antsy and pulled out a little sample
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396112903.377958.jpg
Smells great! Again really fruity and tropical, nice straw pale color but still a bit hazy. I'm hoping it'll go away with time. Taste wise definitely bitter and light, not carbonated yet but once it is I imagine it being really crisp and refreshing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Got to agree a Citra PA tastes awesome. I got there using a very different recipe.
5 lb 12 oz MO
1 lb 14.7 oz 2 row
11.5 oz Flaked Wheat
7.7 oz ea Biscuit, C40 & Munich
.25 oz Warrior 60
.95 Citra 15
.45 Citra 5
.5 Citra 1
1 oz ea Citra and Simcoe dry hop 9 days
BRY-97 (very slow start, but then explosion)

Its not all Cirta, but its really tastey!

Latest posts

Back