All Citra DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellawaits77

Reaction score
Already ordered all my supplies, guess I should have done this a few days ago :cross:. But anyway, comments and/or suggestions are appreciated. I made an all Citra APA with these same ingredients (less, obviously) and it was my best batch so far.

Batch size : 4 Gallons

Fermentables: 4 lbs Alexander's Pale LME
6 lbs Munich LME
4 oz Dextrose (post-boil)

Hops: 1 oz Magnum (60 minutes)
1 oz Citra (30 minutes)
1 oz Citra (10 minutes)
1 oz Citra (5 minutes)
1 oz Citra (flame out followed by ghetto whirlpool)
4 oz Citra (dry-hop - add near end of primary fermentation)

Yeast: Safale US-05
Expected OG: 1.090
Expected FG: 1.025
Expected ABV: 8.54
Expected IBU: 118

Comments or suggestions welcome!

That is ALOT of Citra. My Citra APA has 1.25 oz total of Citra, and it is comes through pretty strong in those quantities.

I just finished a keg of a Citra IIPA I brewed with 8oz of Citra. It was great but needed time to mellow out the Citra which tells me I Used to much.

Your boil additions are probably fine although I would just move the 30 back to 5 or 0. 4oz in dry hop seems potentially awful to me. I used 2oz in dryhop in the keg and it was almost undrinkable for a week or two after I pulled the hops.

If you are kegging and are sure you want 4oz dry hop I would consider starting with half tasting it after 3 days or so then deciding on the second half. Citra can put out a powerful ammonia / cat piss smell taste in large quantities.

I dont know about the people commenting on this or not but, i can never have too many hops IF its added correctly. I think your warrior will be perfect for bittering so move your 30min Citra addition to 5 or flameout or you want to be tricky try it as FWH or mash it in. Also, 4 oz dry hop is perfect just dont let it stay in there longer than 5 days. i know some have went 7 but i find 5 is perfect

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I know it seems a bit high for the dry hops but I never seem to get the desired hop aroma, so I'm going higher than usual.

I think I'll move that 30 minute down to .5 oz and add the other .5 at 5 minutes. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made an IPA recently with all centennial and was disappointed.
I won't make a brew with 1 hop again, not to say yours won't be good.

I made an IPA recently with all centennial and was disappointed.
I won't make a brew with 1 hop again, not to say yours won't be good.

Hmm. Sorry to hear that. Yes I like to use multiple hop varieties as well. But I made an all Citra American Pale Ale and it was my best batch so far. Hope I can replicate that with this "bigger version".

I am almost through my recent batch of all citra IPA. It came in at only a little over 6% ABV, with a very simple malt profile. I used 8 oz of citra and I think it turned out great! I'm going to do a DIPA with all Citra and I plan on using a lot more. So I think you'll have nice results with your recipe. For mine I didn't add any hops during the boil.
1 oz during mash
1 oz FWH
2 oz flameout
2 oz whirlpool steep at 170
2 oz dryhop

I am almost through my recent batch of all citra IPA. It came in at only a little over 6% ABV, with a very simple malt profile. I used 8 oz of citra and I think it turned out great! I'm going to do a DIPA with all Citra and I plan on using a lot more. So I think you'll have nice results with your recipe. For mine I didn't add any hops during the boil.
1 oz during mash
1 oz FWH
2 oz flameout
2 oz whirlpool steep at 170
2 oz dryhop

Glad to hear it was good. Yes the more research I do, the more it seems that people add Citra very late. Thinking I'm gonna change the 30 minute addition to the 5 minute mark.

I do a very close recipe and use 7 oz in the boil and 2 oz for the dry hop. It's a winner every time.

Good to hear. If I don't have the aroma I'm hoping for, I will add an oz to my post boil ghetto whirlpool.

I do an all Citra IPA and do 2 oz in the dry hop and it gives it a huge citrusy nose. It's just too bad that it fades over time, but that's with any hop... Love the way Citra smells.

Brewed last night. Everything went well. Ended up adding the 30 minute addition at 5 minutes, so there was 2 oz added at that point. OG was a tad lower than expected, not too concerned. My only "complaint" is the wort is darker than expected. As I usually do, I waited until the last few minutes to add most of the extract.

The wort smells great though, and the air lock is bubbling as of this morning. Thanks for all opinions and tips. WIll keep the thread updated as things progress.

I always think my wort looks really dark and then after fermentation is over and a cold crash, it comes out very nice.

Added the dry hops last night. Wort has a great aroma and has lightened in color a bit.

Why the magnum hop addition? And with that, it is not all Citra, I suppose. :)

Technically you're right. Magnum fur bittering. Long Citra boils can lead to a "catty" taste and loss of Citra's standard favors. Or so they say. Never tried it myself.

Technically you're right. Magnum fur bittering. Long Citra boils can lead to a "catty" taste and loss of Citra's standard favors. Or so they say. Never tried it myself.

That's good to know about citra. I thank you for that info because I would have used it at 60.

Been in the bottle for 10 days now. Had a good color. Was hoping for a stronger aroma, but we'll see how the final product is.

Back