all 3 grainfather beers cloudy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

actech

Reaction score
All 3 batches so far done in the grainfather have been hazy. The wort is clear when the boil is done,very clear. I run it thru the cfc and add yeast and put in fermenter. could the fact that the cfc takes 200* wort in and puts out 60* cause a problem? I love the fact that cooling time is only as long as it takes the pump to transfer it to bucket. Any ideas? one batch had irish moss one whirflock one nothing

Cold break chill haze. It's voodoo speak to some but worth reading about.

Rapid cooling will actually reduce chill haze. So that is not your issue.

Are you getting a good strong boil?

Same yeast for all three beers? If the wort is clear during transfer and you're chilling it down quickly then I'd say it's more likely to be a fermentation related haze eg poor attenuation or racking procedure that is the cause. Also are you bottling or kegging?

Cold break chill haze. It's voodoo speak to some but worth reading about.

So from what Im reading I should cool whole batch before pumping into fermentor? Let sit at say 80* then pump to fermentor and drop to pitch temp. Which was too cool before. first batch I had to slow water flow because wort was 52* coming out of cfc

So from what Im reading I should cool whole batch before pumping into fermentor? Let sit at say 80* then pump to fermentor and drop to pitch temp. Which was too cool before. first batch I had to slow water flow because wort was 52* coming out of cfc

No, you only need to cool whole batch when using an immersion chiller. I cool and transfer through my plate chiller simultaneously without any issues.

Same yeast for all three beers? If the wort is clear during transfer and you're chilling it down quickly then I'd say it's more likely to be a fermentation related haze eg poor attenuation or racking procedure that is the cause. Also are you bottling or kegging?

Different yeast
1 yoopers house pale ale
2 beirmunchers centennial blonde
3 ed worts house pale ale
All 3 batches were dead on the gravity numbers in recipe
Kegging sit for a week carbonating. last beer as hazy as first. At least first 2. just kegged ed worts looked clearer than rest in hose from bucket to keg but not as clear as it was when it was wort.

This topic was covered pretty well already here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=396754

But essentially, your cooling rate is fine, but maybe try giving it a 1-2 hour cold break and rack off wort to fermenter leaving break behind.
Again, already lots of naysayers, but science, she don't lie.
(I'm fine with naysayers, everyone's process is a little different for their equipment and recipes. )

A little cold conditioning will clear it right up. If not, then you aren't getting full conversion and it's time to check your mash ph.

Try a different grain source. Even from the same manufacturer, occasionally an off lot will give you haze whereas any other lot has been fine.

Switch up your base malt next brew, maybe try an English Mild with Marris Otter as the base

I have just started playing with the water chemistry. I just did a recipe called bit-r-done last weekend. I use 100% ro water. using ez water I put in 5g each gypsum and epsum and 4g calcium clhoride. That put all numbers in green??? I'm guessing thats right.
kegged a week to carbonate and then lasted lil more than a week. Friends dont care about haze just taste. making cream of 3 crops this weekend and not sure on water because the spreadsheet doesnt have corn or rice listed.

All of my Grainfather beers have been hazy as well. Most of them get crystal clear as the beer warms up in my glass, meaning we are both probably getting chill haze. I haven't tried fining with gelatin yet, but have heard that can solve the issue.

i noticed last week the grainfather is off 2*. shows 2* higher than it is. caught it because water jugs been in house for days and it showed 2* warmer than thermostat. checked with mercury thermometer from initial beer kit and it was 7*lower than room temp.???? Hows that hapen?? checked with digital meat and was right on room temp. So I set gf for 154 to maintain 152 mash

Back