Alcohol Taste in Hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I brewed up Ed Worts Bee Cave Hef about 6 weeks ago and its now done and fully carbed in the keg. It has a strange alcohol type taste to it. I pitched at 68 and fermented in a temp controlled fridge at 67 the entire time. Why would this be?

I have made this recipe 4 times and the last 2 have tasted like this. I lowered the ABV to 4.6% and it still has this strange taste. I have only noticed this since I have been doing salt additions from RO water with this recipe, but no other recipe out of like 15 with salt additions has this taste so I am not sure that is it.

It definitely has a decent hef taste but the aftertaste when you swallow has a slightly unpleasant alcohol taste. I am wondering if I possibly over pitched as the yeast was only a couple days old and I made a litre starter, though it still tastes decently hef like so I am not sure that is it either.

The flavor seem to dissipate with time with the previous batch? Try a small sample after letting it warm to room temp and see what flavor is still there.

May be a pH issue in your mash. That would give a harshness taste similar to the alcohol taste you describe. Consider using phosphoric acid at least in your sparge water and possibly in your primary mash as well. Use around a 1/4 tspn per 4 gallons of water or so if you are only using RO. This will keep tannins out of your wort and maybe get rid of your problem.

I doubt your issue is too big of a starter.

I am going to be brewing a hef again this weekend and I am wondering if it is a problem with adding acid malt. I am adding 2oz of acid malt to lower the ph to around 5.4, maybe I am lowering the ph too far or maybe it is the lactic bite I am noticing?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back