alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7755mike

Reaction score
Hello guys, i'm still getting used to how to post a question so beer with me.

How do i bump up the alcohol in my Coopers home brew Lager a little?

Thanks

The most common method is using either corn sugar (i.e. same stuff you use to prime with) or dry malt extract. Many people (including myself) prefer the latter simply because the extra malt adds to the overall flavor, whereas the sugar only lends itself to fermentability (and not much adding to the flavor).

Hello guys, i'm still getting used to how to post a question so beer with me.

How do i bump up the alcohol in my Coopers home brew Lager a little?

Thanks

Sugar makes the yeastes eat more but will dry it out some. You could do 500g or so of Brew enhancer 2 to boost the alcohol and add some mouth feel without drying it out.

(PS...don't tell the Germans I said to add any sugar...lol)

The most common method is using either corn sugar (i.e. same stuff you use to prime with) or dry malt extract. Many people (including myself) prefer the latter simply because the extra malt adds to the overall flavor, whereas the sugar only lends itself to fermentability (and not much adding to the flavor).

Well-answered!

No, you want to add more DME or LME. Post your recipe and we'll tell you exactly what to do.

And like baking, brewers get the most accurate measurments in weight (mass to be correct). I found many of my beers were undercarbonated when calculating sugars by volume instead of weight :)

I add different plain DME's to the OS lager with various hops to make different ales out of it. You could just add a pound of extra light plain DME with some 250g of dextrose to bump it up a little,plus adding more flavor & mouth feel. Add maybe 1oz of English hops (East Kent Golding,Fuggle,Willamette) to it to keep it balanced,& add even more flavor common to pale ales in the UK.

i think using corn sugar gives the beer a specific cider snap to it, hard to describe, but i can usually tell if somebody adds a pound of corn sugar or something into a beer. just has cider like qualities...i don't know.
anyway, rice syrup solids would offer the same thing and are used frequently with lagers.
or
honey. i would just use a pound of honey, if you add it after flame out, but before pitching temp, you may get some residual honey flavor (which i like) but if you don't want that, just toss it in for the last 10 minutes of the boil. the boiling will destroy the delicate flavors of the honey, but you will get an increased abv.

You're not going to get noticeable "cidery" flavors from 1lb of sugar. But combine that with high initial ferment temps,& you can. I did that on my 1st. But it aged out. 250g isn't a lot,but works well when added with 1lb of plain DME. Quite common down under.

Back