Alcohol and Tobacco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is nothing like a cig after having a few beers to give you that nice mellow buzz. I love marb lights but I can smoke a pack in two hours when I'm drinking so I stick to my newports.

I quit smoking cigarettes about 5 years ago. However I still have Copenhagen pouches imported to me over here. I also enjoy cigars. One nice thing about living here (Finland) no trade embargo, all the Cuban cigars I want, if I can afford them.

Catfish78 said:
I quit smoking cigarettes about 5 years ago. However I still have Copenhagen pouches imported to me over here. I also enjoy cigars. One nice thing about living here (Finland) no trade embargo, all the Cuban cigars I want, if I can afford them.

I used to do the camel snus but finally gave that up too. Cigars and hooka is ok tho

I don't find the time to smoke cigars or the pipe all that much anymore - literally maybe once every other month? Just about every day I have the thought that I will make time to sit on the porch and have a smoke that night but it just never seems to happen.

When I do indulge, it is usually a maduro of one of the older brands. I also like Fuente's Hemmingway series, a few of the Avo sticks, and a handful of other brands. Onyx is a favorite in the maduro category.

I don't think I've bought a brand that has not been around for at least 20 years. Nothing against the newer stuff - and I've enjoyed the ones that have been given to me - but for whatever reason I'm always drawn to the old standards.

Not so with beer. I'll scour Total Wine for new brands. Donno why cigars are different for me...

BrettFitz said:
I don't find the time to smoke cigars or the pipe all that much anymore - literally maybe once every other month? Just about every day I have the thought that I will make time to sit on the porch and have a smoke that night but it just never seems to happen.

When I do indulge, it is usually a maduro of one of the older brands. I also like Fuente's Hemmingway series, a few of the Avo sticks, and a handful of other brands. Onyx is a favorite in the maduro category.

I don't think I've bought a brand that has not been around for at least 20 years. Nothing against the newer stuff - and I've enjoyed the ones that have been given to me - but for whatever reason I'm always drawn to the old standards.

Not so with beer. I'll scour Total Wine for new brands. Donno why cigars are different for me...

Get some Rocky Patels, the quality is very high, their cigars beat any that I've had, they are on a habanos level, just as good as the affordable Cohibas I've had.

Get some Rocky Patels, the quality is very high, their cigars beat any that I've had, they are on a habanos level, just as good as the affordable Cohibas I've had.

+1 on this! I recently smoked a Rocky Patel, Vintage 1999, and it was a nice smoke!

After all this talk about RP's I went and picked up a couple of his decade cigars from my local smoke shop. Their rated at a 95 which is awesome and priced at about $12 so if I like them I could definitely see these becoming another of my go to's.

Not including the Camels, which I'd love to ditch soon, I think few things pair better than Cohiba or a Punch Rothschild and a glass of Captain's Private Stock or a good single malt. Back that with a good strong bitter or old ale and you're night is golden. My wife doesn't believe that I have 3 grey hairs in my beard (they're 'blond' to her), so I guess I have to hold off on the pipe for a bit longer. :mug:

Why does alcohol pair so well with nicotine?

Post your tobacco preferences when drinking.

I smoke malboro lights when drinking with friends/at bars but grizzly wintergreen is my ending supplement, also the occasional Rocky Patel cigars suit me well. How about you?

Once you stop smoking, you'll realize beer and tobacco don't pair well. I was amazed at how much more flavor beer had after I'd quit smoking for a couple months.

Beer doesn't pair well with any tobacco that I've found. Just ruins the taste. It's usually the BMC crowd that loves their cigs and "beer". . .

Now, a pipe full of Cherry Cav and a good single malt is pure heaven.

Or a hooka full of fruity sheesha and a glass of Cab. Mmm. . .

Once you stop smoking, you'll realize beer and tobacco don't pair well. I was amazed at how much more flavor beer had after I'd quit smoking for a couple months.

I agree with this when it comes to cigarettes. I smoked for about 18 years, and I quit back in 2000. I hadn't smoked a cigar since then either up until about 2 months ago. I finally got brave enough to smoke one. Now, I'm enjoying one every now and then. What I've discovered is that I don't like a cigar with some beers, but with others it's fantastic. Also, I don't like robust, bold cigars at all! Especially with beer!

Yesterday I discovered that my white pepper saison is definitely a cigar beer..
:mug:

I too quit smoking recently, I find that smoking cigarettes in a social setting with any decent beer was nice. I don't do that any more though. Now I like to smoke a cigar once in a while, like every other month, with a nice 10%+ double IPA. I made one recently that went well with the cigar.

I think the trick is to have a beer that can over power the smoke. Which is why I think whiskey goes so well with cigars.

I usually Hookah when i drink.

2012-07-08_13-38-56_870.jpg

Back