Alcohlic warmth in Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator_brewer

Reaction score
I opened up a bottle of Apfelwein the other day that was utterly delious! On top of being about 8 months old, there was an overwhelming alocholic warmth to it. I had to crack open a couple more to try to find if they all aged that well, and sadly they didn't.

My question: Is there a way to get a full batch to have the "alcoholic warmth" flavor? Would upping the sugar from 2lb to say 3lb work? Adding more sugar later in the fermentation process (say 1lb after 10 days)?

The recipe was exactly as called for in Edwarts post, using Montrachet Wine Yeast

I can't answer your question, but your post is making crazy to try some of Edwort's Apfelwein!

yeah, trying to resist opening some myself. Bottled first sparkling batch last weekend (or it will be sparkling), and bottled first still batch on Monday. doing another batch sparkling this weekend, then it'll be time to start some more to drink once these are gone. :) That alcoholic warmth sounds great right about now though. :)

no advice on how to 'add' the alcoholic warmth to it? I really wish I knew what i did 'wrong' the first time...

As for opening it early, I find adding a teaspoon of splenda helps make it taste better young... but after a few months you don't need the splenda any more. Also, if you have open primaries, start your next batch now, that way it will be even older by the time you get around to drinking it :)

Back