Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Alvin Holmes comes off like a buffoon, but I think at times he is pretty shrewd

Oh yeah. He's a performer, first and foremost. I think he knows exactly what he's doing. I imagine that despite his infamous "what's wrong with the beer we got" speech, he knows exactly what's up, and may even have favorite craft beers he enjoys from time to time.

Theater is all, and he's evidently pretty good at it.

-Rich

The house doesn't have a computerized reader? Or is there something about this specific bill that makes it ineligible for that (not scanned in or something)?

30 minute recess.

The last debate went a lot like the home brew debate last year. There were a handful that were vehemently opposed to a bill that easily had enough votes to pass, but they still did all they could to make it difficult. Seems pretty counter productive, but I guess that is the way it goes.

The last debate went a lot like the home brew debate last year. There were a handful that were vehemently opposed to a bill that easily had enough votes to pass, but they still did all they could to make it difficult.

Been listening to beer-related AL House and Senate debates since the year the first Free the Hops bill passed. Still amazed it's legal to waste taxpayer time and money so blatantly by malicious stalling measures. Shows I'm a slow learner, I guess.

Haven't listened this year. My blood pressure is too volatile as it is. Called my rep and senator, but following the "fun" here.

-Rich

Had a friend just email me and say it passed today? Doesn't seem correct, can anyone confirm this.
Nevermind: false alarm

The ones who fight tooth and nail, even though there are enough votes to pass it, are simply doing it for the votes. Next election they'll shrug their shoulders and say, "Well, we fought it hard, but those eeeevil [opposite party] passed it anyway. I did my best. Vote for me."

BarefootFriar said:
Next election they'll shrug their shoulders and say, "Well, we fought it hard, but those eeeevil [opposite party] passed it anyway. I did my best. Vote for me."

Yep, playing the part of the David against the Alkyhol Goliath. Would be funny if it weren't disgusting.

-Rich

You have to admit thought, that was a pretty sneaky tactic the Republicans used today. I don't know if the Democrats ever used that in the past, but it was a pretty well thought out plan.

Hmmmmm we may need to talk to Mac about setting up something like that for the Homebrew bill!

You have to admit thought, that was a pretty sneaky tactic the Republicans used today. I don't know if the Democrats ever used that in the past, but it was a pretty well thought out plan.

Hmmmmm we may need to talk to Mac about setting up something like that for the Homebrew bill!

Yep. I pointed it out further up the thread. It was pretty slick to condense the amendments into one so they could only use their 10 minutes one time.

I kind of enjoy listening to the audio. It is interesting to see the personalities, positions, and tactics of the different representatives.

I click on the representative to see who they are when the speak. It personalizes it a bit-almost like being there.

Yeah, the condensed amendment was 1 thing... Did you listen all the way through the School Flex bill stuff?

They passed a bill in the house, handed it to the Senate where they added an amendment to get AEA's support and passed it 35 or so to 0, then brought it back to the house and handed it over to a committee to resolve the amendment. The comittee brought back a bill that added 20 pages (!!!!) to the original 8 page bill and forced it though.

What they passed after the committee was nothing at all like what was voted on in the senate or the house. It was a completely different bill.

Oh well, here's to hoping we are on the SOC for Tuesday. :tank:

Yeah, the condensed amendment was 1 thing... Did you listen all the way through the School Flex bill stuff?

They passed a bill in the house, handed it to the Senate where they added an amendment to get AEA's support and passed it 35 or so to 0, then brought it back to the house and handed it over to a committee to resolve the amendment. The comittee brought back a bill that added 20 pages (!!!!) to the original 8 page bill and forced it though.

What they passed after the committee was nothing at all like what was voted on in the senate or the house. It was a completely different bill.

Oh well, here's to hoping we are on the SOC for Tuesday. :tank:

I wasn't aware that is what was going on there. I heard a remark that it wasn't the same bill, but I wasn't following it that closely when that was going on.

To Tuesday:mug:

We are not on the SOC for tomorrow in the House

PROPOSED BY THE RULES COMMITTEE
FOR TUESDAY, MARCH 5, 2013
THE 10th LEGISLATIVE DAY

HR ______ SPECIAL ORDER CALENDAR BY: HOUSE RULES COMMITTEE

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE LEGISLATURE OF ALABAMA, That immediately upon the adoption of this resolution, the following business, in the order set forth below, shall be the special and paramount order of business for the 10th legislative day taking precedence over the regular order of business or any pending or unfinished business.

Representative Love:
HB170
Appropriations, supplemental appropriations for fiscal year ending September 30, 2013, from Education Trust Fund to Department of Commerce and from Education Trust Fund to Department of Veterans' Affairs

Senator Orr-Representative Clouse:
SB100
General Fund, transfer of funds from numerous funds of various agencies, departments, etc. for fiscal year ending September 30, 2014

Representative McCutcheon:
HB279
Taxation, refund for excise tax paid on purchases of aviation jet fuel by international cargo air carriers, exemption from sales tax for purchases of aviation jet fuel and from use tax for use, storage, or consumption, Secs. 40-17-329, 40-23-4, 40-23-62 am'd.

Representative Nordgren:
HB218
Elections, computerized statewide voter registration list, residential address of domestic violence victims omitted, Secs. 11-46-36, 11-46-107, 17-4-33, 17-9-15, 17-11-5 am'd.

Representative McCampbell:
HB181
Hazardous waste disposal, fee for certain hazardous wastes, decreased, Secs. 22-30-4, 22-30B-2, 2-30B-2.1, 22-30B-4, 22-30B-4.1 am'd.

Representative McCutcheon:
HB92
Emergency Communication Services, creating statewide communication system for emergency first responders, create the Alabama First Responder Wireless Commission, create the First Responder Wireless Commission Fund

Representative Gaston:
HB140
Income tax credit, tax credit against the tax liability of taxpayer for rehabilitation, preservation, and development of historic structures

Representative McClendon:
HB89
State Employees' Insurance board, authorized to offer a high deductible health plan with a federally qualified health saving account and a federally qualified health reimbursement arrangement (HRA)

Representative Greer:
HB194
Fishing, gill net fishing in Tennessee River, prohibition repealed, Sec. 9-11-88 am'd.

Representative Ison:
HB123
Higher Education, 2-year institutions authorize to charge resident tuition for nonresident distance learning students Secs. 16-64-2, 16-64-4 am'd.
Representative Ison:
HB276
Entities, dormant, exempt from business privilege tax, Sec. 40-14A-44 am'd.

Representative Moore (B):
HB257
Business license tax, rental of residential real estate tax, not to be on a per unit basis, const. amend.

Representative Lee:
HB33
Board of Hearing Instrument Dealers, to provide further for definitions, remove specific fees and authorize board to set by rule, Secs. 34-14-1 to 34-14-9, inclusive, 34-14-11, 34-14-30, 34-14-32, 34-14-33 am'd.

Representative DeMarco:
HB45
Crimes and offenses, elder abuse, creating the crimes of elder abuse and neglect and financial exploitation of an elderly person in the first, second, and third degree

Representative Baker:
HB260
Crime of promoting prison contraband in the first, second, and third degrees, attempt included, increased penalties, Secs. 13A-10-36, 13A-10-37, 13A-10-38 am'd.

Representative DeMarco:
HB264
Taxpayers' Bill of Rights, Uniform Revenue Procedures Act, broader "innocent spouse" relief, taxpayer appeals, revenue rulings from Department of Revenue, Alabama Tax Appeals Commission

Representative Harper:
HB247
County Commission, purchasing, use of credit or debit cards, rebates distrib. to co., general fund

I think tomorrow would be a bad deal for us anyway. I bet the Democrats are going to spend several days blocking every piece of Republican legislation they possibly can as payback for the School Flex bill. I can't say I blame them, the repubs were a little sneaky on that deal!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Democrats don't filibuster for the rest of the session, in both chambers...

I dunno -

Lots of counties you can walk into the courthouse, pay $20 and walk out with a concealed carry permit. No requirements for non-criminals to jump through worthless hoops like a lot of states.

Most counties, there are no building code requirements, you're free to do whatever you want. No building permit, no phase inspections, just a septic permit and a meter base inspection and you're golden.

I'm not required to peel the tint off my windows every year to pay the state to "inspect" my vehicle.

In most places, I can get my own property zoned for whatever the hell I want to do with it, and in a lot of those places I don't have to have it zoned at all. I can already do what I want.

I'm sure the list goes on that a lot of other places don't have. It's just a matter of where our government chooses to stick it to us compared to where your government chooses to stick it to you! :mug:

I've lived a couple other places.... I kinda like it around here. I am working on moving out of the 'city' where I'll have a little more freedom though. If I wanna take a leak in my own front yard, I see nothing wrong with that. My neighbors right now probably would.

If your tinting is so dark that you'd have to peel it off then it's dark enough to ticket you. Granted, I bought a car long since tinted and got pulled over to be ticketed on my trip taking it to have work done. I have a theory about that but it'd be frowned on here. :) Must say it's rather infuriating to be pulled over and slapped with a window tinting ticket when I'm sitting there watching darker windows pass.

On the upside we've still got time left. Not that that would help us if they decide to sit on their laurels and play stupid. Frankly, while I didn't personally have issue with their "pay raise," I believe they should have to vote on every single prepared bill that makes it out of committee before they can end the session.

Hope it passes, I'm originally from Mobile, AL. Living in TN now, but frequently take some homebrew with me on trips back home to Alabama.

The haven't updated the SOC on the website yet. Not sure what is going on, other than this:

Montgomery, AL -
By PHILLIP RAWLS
Associated Press

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - A judge plans to rule Wednesday on whether the governor can sign into law a bill providing private school tax credits.

Gov. Robert Bentley had planned to sign the bill Tuesday afternoon, but Montgomery Circuit Court Judge Charles Price temporarily put that on hold while he considers a lawsuit filed by the Alabama Education Association.

Price's temporary hold order reads as followed:

"At whatever time the Alabama House of Representatives goes into session today, the House Journal is opened, and /or House Bill 84 is transmitted to Defendant Jeff Woodard, Defendant Jeff Woodard, any employee under his direction or control as Clerk of the Alabama House of Representatives, or any other person acting in concert with him, is hereby enjoined and restrained from taking any action on HB 84, including, but not limited to the acts of enrolling or transmitting the bill to the Governor, until this order is altered, amended, vacated, or superseded."

Price heard arguments Tuesday afternoon on whether the Legislature violated Alabama's open meeting law and its own operating rules in passing the bill in a series of quick votes Thursday night.

Price told attorneys to be back in his courtroom at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday when he will give them his decision.

The bill provides tax credits for parents who move their children from failing public schools to private schools. Tax credits would help cover tuition.

The money would also follow the child to another public school if that's where the parent chooses to send their child. I think it's a great thing all things considered. But got my fingers crossed they'll get to the homebrew bill and get it signed into law this year as well.

I think it would be the start of the end of public education in this state. A bad thing and a bad bill, IMO.

Their fixes for public schools are jokes and travesties at best. My daughter is so far beyond the majority of the students at her school in the grade above her it's laughable at best. She's already devoured their library which isn't difficult as they limit her to books they consider 4th grade reading level (she's in 1st). Like it or not, the private institutions are doing something right (frequently anyway) or people wouldn't be paying the exorbitant tuition they demand. They also tend to be less prone to government guided indoctrination than the public monstrosities. And for the record, my father was a long time public school teacher in Alabama supports the bill as well. When you nourish and support failure, it flourishes and expands. No child falls behind = No child gets ahead. As the bar plummets, many kids will pay the price as a result in the current broken system as a result.

Back on topic though, so we're likely going to get screwed over yet again because of one political group's butthurted? Fanfreakingtastic. I still maintain that any bill that makes it out of committee should be REQUIRED to have a vote on have a vote cast before they're allowed to close session. You better gd well believe if your butt gets drafted for Grand Jury duty they make you go through 100% of those cases before they let you go.

It's later, but I don't know the date.

IF it passes in Alabama it is effective as soon as it is signed.

I don't mind being last. I just don't have a particular tolerance for... You know what, nevermind. Momma always said if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all. :)

Homercidal said:
Don't feel bad. Somebody has to come in last. I think the Mississippi folks will be brewing right after the Governor signs?? Or do they have a specific date?

Mississippi law will be effective July 1. Still time for Alabama. In Mississippi we are used to being last. So, good luck Alabama!

Mississippi law will be effective July 1. Still time for Alabama. In Mississippi we are used to being last. So, good luck Alabama!

I think that with your full federal limits and our very low storage limits, you've got us beat this time, regardless of whether we actually pull this off before July 1.

There could be a guy in Alabama who has been aging 5 gallons of RIS for several months, is currently lagering two 5 gallon batches of lager, has a batch of porter in a fermenter, and some more brew on hand in kegs for drinking. He might not be a heavy drinker (2-3 per day, including his wife's consumption), but he is way over those future limits assuming we don't actually run out of time again this year and keep our current limit of zero. He might like lagers and feel like even his ales are better after a period of cold storage. I'm not saying I know such a guy, but I do like lagers, stouts, and, above all, variety.

Well, congratulations Mississippi. You've beat us this time.

Back