Alabama lady learning to make kombucha.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a senior lady , now living in northern Alabama, and I have just started making kombucha. I was thinking about the possibility of flavoring my kombucha with hops, and when searching to see which hops might grow best in Alabama, I came across this forum, and thought I would enjoy reading and learning from the more knowledgeable members here.
IMG_5020.jpeg

I did find the kombucha forum and also the fermenting one, which I am also interested in reading and maybe participating in.
I am learning about fermenting, and currently making milk kefir, mesophilic yogurt, sauerkraut, and kimchi, as well as the kombucha.
My husband refuses to touch any of it, but I bought an ice cream machine on clearance at Amazon, and now making frozen yogurt/kefir with a packet of sugar free pudding mix and just a dab extra sugar, and he loves his “ice cream”.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful welcome !

Also……(ta-dah!) I ordered 2 hop rhizomes on ebay, and am going to be planting those as soon as they arrive.

Greetings! From NE Alabama, myself.

I enjoy hopped kombucha - I let the kombucha ferment to my liking, then dry hop at a ratio of 1 ounce hops per 1 gallon of kombucha for 3 or 4 days. You can scale that ratio easily based on you batch size.

After dry hop, I bottle into swing tops and carbonate. Enjoy!

Greetings! From NE Alabama, myself.

I enjoy hopped kombucha - I let the kombucha ferment to my liking, then dry hop at a ratio of 1 ounce hops per 1 gallon of kombucha for 3 or 4 days. You can scale that ratio easily based on you batch size.

After dry hop, I bottle into swing tops and carbonate. Enjoy!
Since I am just now going to be planting my Alpharoma rhizomes (once they arrive), it will be fall before i have any actual hops to try and flavor my kombucha with. Can I order something from Amazon that would work for me to try using to flavor the kombucha before then ?
I will probably try it in about a half gallon size first time to see if I like it. I was watching a video about the health benefits of using hops; so I wanted to grow some and try just making some hop tea, as well as the kombucha hops.
Thank you for the information of how much and how long. Do I do that with the cloth overtop, or in a closed container ?

Can I order something from Amazon that would work for me to try using to flavor the kombucha before then ?
Do I do that with the cloth overtop, or in a closed container ?
Not sure on the first part, I haven't actually grown hops. I just use hops pellets.

Either way works. I usually put a batch in a 1/2 gallon mason jar with a wide mouth, add 1/2 ounce of hops, and close it off with a plastic lid. I don't tighten it though, just in case some gas needs to escape.

Morebeer.com has all the hops you want. I bet some business in your area probably has hops. Have you searched for local homebrew shop? We have a great one south of BHam

Back