Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffd520

Reaction score
I brewed a cream ale last Sunday. I ferment in a 6.5 gallon bucket. I can see krausen when I look down in the hole for the airlock. I haven't seen any airlock activity at all the entire time. I have read the countless threads that airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation. But I have a good seal on the bucket. And CO2 is a by product of fermentation so shouldn't I see some sign of airlock activity eventually.

Sounds like the lid isn't as sealed as you think it is. If you can see the krausen then you're making beer. Try going around the lid lightly with a rubber mallet. Or, buy a new lid.

How do you know your seal is good?
Try a quick-and-dirty:
Get yourself(make it) a tube with moistened cotton as a filter inside it, and connect one end to your air lock exit.
Use tubing, tape, whatever, and make the connection airtight. GENNNNNNTLY blow into the OTHER(outer) end and see if you get a pressure buildup. It's not a bad idea to have another person spray the seams around the cover with dilute soap-water; any leaks MIGHT show bubbles.
PS: Brush before blowing, as halitosis will show up in the beer!!!

Firmly push down on the lid in the center.....if the airlock bubbles you know pretty much that it is sealed, if not you have a leak. BTW, how full is the 6.5 gal bucket? Too much head space affects the airlock activity but should show up eventually as bubbles.

Back