Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Manhands

Reaction score
I’m currently brewing my first two batches of beer. They have been fermenting for a little over a week now, and I thought everything was going great until I realized that I forgot to put water in one of the airlocks. I hadn’t seen bubbling, but I read somewhere on here that there won’t necessarily be bubbling when fermenting in buckets so I didn’t think much of it. Does this mean that the beer is for sure ruined, or should I continue in the hopes that it will still turn out?

Don't worry about it. The fermenting beer kept pushing out CO2 keeping positive pressure on the fermenter so I wouldn't worry about anything. Just fill the airlock with cheap vodka or sanitizer and RDWHAHB.

The beer is fine, it protects itself during primary fermentation, I vote for Vodka in the airlock, that way if you pull a vacuum on it while opening, it will only add to the alcohol of the brew instead of adding possible unwanted bacterium.

Thanks guys. I feel like such an idiot forgetting something like that, but hopefully the beer will be fine. I'll try to remember to post on here whether or not it comes out in a couple of weeks.

Back