airlock stopped bubbling after less than 48H since pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsterguy

Reaction score
as the title says.
Some details:
brewed 13L in a 26L fermenter
SG was 1.054
Current Gravity is 1.022
airlock was bubbling pretty strong, but not strongest Ive seen, starting 2 hours from pitching.
its been less than 48H and now airlock completely halted
I pitched at 29C, k-97 yeast.

any thoughts?

The manufacturer claims 80 - 84% attenuation, so it does seem like it could go farther. But - 1.022 is an OK final gravity so it's not a huge deal, you'll have drinkable beer.

You might think about changes for next time, but if you're thinking of how to "fix" this batch, I wouldn't.

I made an ESB on Thursday morning, slightly overpitched the yeast, and it was fermenting in just a few hours and rocking that night. It's pretty much already done as well, it's clearing up and flocculating with almost no airlock activity. I am sure it's fine, it clearly rocked the fermentation for a day or two. Sometimes - yeast is just fast, and it's done.

I pitched at 29C, k-97 yeast.

That's really too warm. (Expect elevated esters and possible fusels.)

The high temp would have also caused a fast fermentation. That's not to say that it's necessarily done. It may just be slowed enough that the CO2 that's currently evolving may be getting out some way other than your airlock.

Extract or all grain? If the latter, what was your grain bill and mash temp?

Are you by any chance using a refractometer to measure your gravity?

i feel kind of stupid now.
i went to take another gravity reading after writing this, thinking perhaps it actually finished as I pitched warm.
i saw it didnt finish, as expected fg is 1.012 and it is 1.022, so I gave it a little shake.
I could actually see (i use a non clear plastic fermenter) a shadow sink from the top of the wort to the bottom, heard a small bubbling sound from within, and it has resumed steadily bubbling since.
i havent brewed as much, but could this be a "stuck" krausen layer? it was holding most of the air and did not sink to the bottom until I gave it a shake?

Just wait two weeks. Then take a SG reading.

Bubbles in the airlock mean nothing. You'll screw your beer up trying to make the beer produce those bubble you want to see. Or by trying to take a crap load of samples to try and figure out the imagined problem for it.

In all likely hood, everything is progressing as it should. So be patient.

What was the fermentation vessel? If you're using a bucket with a press on lid, they typically don't seal tight enough to give you an accurate representation of how the beer is working because the lid leaks ever so slightly. It's not a problem for the beer, but it makes it very difficult to tell if your s trap is showing you the truth. I'm guessing if you're new to Brewing you may have that type of a setup and if so, don't sweat it. Just understand they don't make an absolutely perfect seal so adjust your observations accordingly. In my experience, and I've used them many times, give it another two days and you are probably fine. I don't recommend opening the thing many times just to take gravity readings. If there's a faucet on the bottom then that's fine. Take your samples there.

If you're using a bucket with a press on lid, they typically don't seal tight enough to give you an accurate representation of how the beer is working because the lid leaks ever so slightly.
I've always wondered where people get all these leaky lids. I have three bucket fermenters, all with slightly different lids. They all seal just fine and I always see airlock or blow-off activity.

I've always wondered where people get all these leaky lids. I have three bucket fermenters, all with slightly different lids. They all seal just fine and I always see airlock or blow-off activity.
Just looking here and I've got two from Midwest supplies, one LD Carlson, and two others that don't have markings on them. None of them have ever sealed enough to show activity after a fermentation slows down. But like the guy above, they made good beer. I tried tape on the lids, stretch wrap, I eventually just gave up. LOL

Back