Airlock aroma in my beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben229

Reaction score
I sometimes have an off aroma in my beer, and I've noticed it in other's homebrews as well. I can't really describe it in a way that syncs with the typical descriptors for off aromas/flavors: band-aid, wet cardboard, satun's anus, etc. I usually pick this up in some bottles, but not all, although I have found it in most bottles in some batches. So one day I'm sniffing my airlock and there was that aroma that I can never quite describe. Aha! So, now I know what it is!! But, I really don't. I usually can't really taste it, unless the aroma is good and strong AND it will often dissipate between sips or gulps or chugs. I can always rouse it though with a good swirl. So is this some kind of result of suspended yeast and co2 in my glass...is that why I can bring it up with a swirl? Is it phenols? Satan's anus? Green beer? Any insights??

I usually would describe airlock aroma as hops or yeasty. What is your process as far as fermentation times/temps and bottle conditioning time. You could be rushing to bottle and getting a little more yeast than usual in the bottle, drinking green beer or not letting it chill long enough to let the yeast settle out. Also, make sure you try to leave the yeast trub behind when you bottle.

It sounds like you're smelling yeast? The aroma that comes off my airlock is undoubtedly yeast coupled with a hint of whatever style is fermenting away. I'd imagine all airlocks are the same.

Does it smell similar to a starter?

Without a description of the aroma it's really hard to tell what you're talking about...

I usually go 3-4 weeks primary, no secondary. Ferm temps usually between 60-70....couple of weeks in the bottle..sometimes I'll pop one after a week to see what its doing. It certainly is not a hops smell, nor does it strike me as particularly yeasty.....but much like what I often get from my airlock at peak fermentation activity. Does it smell like a starter? Good question...I will have to pay closer attention to that next time I brew. I usually store my beer at ambient basement temps..which can sometimes get into the mid 70's...don't have room to store them all in a fridge. So, I usually chill some bottles down for a few hours or days before I drink them, but, some batches have only a bottle or two with this airlock aroma. Maybe some bottle are getting excessive troob? It sure seems to make sense that it would have to be yeast related, but...it just doesn't smell like yeast...you know, when you cut open a smack pack or something...it's not that kind of bready yeast aroma.....

Would anyone describe an airlock odor as "phenolic?" I suppose I could describe this odor as being vaguely plasticy or medicinal....vaguely tho......

Back