Airlock Activity after 18 days?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash1616

Reaction score
Hello all!! As the title states I have a beer that I brewed on June 26th and when I checked it this morning I am still betting airlock activity....every 30 secs or so.

Its a One Gallon brew, Strawberry Rhubarb Strong Ale to be exact. Since its a One Gallon brew I didnt take an OG since it would take a great amount of precious ml's away. I also do not have any access to a Refractometer :(

My question to you all is.........Is it normal for a Strong Ale to have this much airlock activity for this long?!?

Here is the recipe used:

2.3 lbs Belgian Pils
0.15lbs Victory Malt
3g Challenger Hops (Added at Boil)
3g Cluster Hops (Added at 30 and 55)
120g Rhubarb (Added at 30 mins)
136g Belgian Candi Sugar (Added at FO)
16 Strawberries (added at FO)

Yeast - Safale S-33

I pitched the yeast at 70C and It has been sitting in a storage room at approx 68C. All the fruit was strained out prior to going into the Carboy and I have not transferred it to a secondary fermenter.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Yah that's normal its just gas being released from suspension. Fermentation should be done by now.

At one point the " ...is it just off gassing, or is it still fermenting?..." If you already have it figured out, disregard this explanation. When the fermentation is active, the CO2 being produced generates enough pressure to push bubbles through the airlock, simple, right? But if my hydro tests are now all the same, why are there still bubbles? Think of a soda bottle as an example: after the bottle has been opened a couple of times, the CO2 pressure has reduced enough to let the bubbles that are still trapped in the liquid ( the ones you can't see) come out of suspension. Even though there doesn't seem to be any carbonation left, you crack the top open and still get a small Phfffff of CO2. The trub has enough density to keep bubbles trapped, so as the pressure decreases the "trub bubbles" start to appear. Have you ever noticed when you are racking off the trub, all of the sudden, CO2 bubbles seem to come out of nowhere? Now you know why.
If this post offends anyone, I apologize in advance.

Thanks for the extra explanation!!! It was well received and appreciated.

Back