AHS pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likwidbliss

Reaction score
I have bought almost all my kits from Austin Homebrew Supply. I haven't had a complaint yet. Today I received a Pumpkin Ale at the request of my wife, and one of my favorite commercial beers Sleeman Steam Beer (Ontario, Canada). I am stoked to get the pipeline full. I got busy and couldn't keep it going. So I am making a tsunami of beer. What is even better is that I over paid and AHS sent me the difference in a vacuum sealed bag in the kit. Talk about customer service. AHS has my business.

Next I have a bazillion pumpkins laying around, father-in-law farms. What is the best color, size to make this beer from. I know that the pie pumpkin is more orange, where as the carving pumpkin is lighter in color. Could a squash be substituted?

:rockin:

I know someone is bound to post this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pumpkin-beers-discussion-developing-recipes-tips-tricks-good-practices-131786/

You can do a bit of searching for the squash but yes, afaik, it works well as a substitute. I'm bottling my AHS Pumpkin kit soon and from what I understand, the flavor, and even the color(?) comes from the malt and spices, not the pumpkin. I cooked some canned pumpkin anyways to mash...honestly if I were to repeat it I wouldn't do it again...when the pumpkin settles in the trub you end up losing about a gallon. I did achieve a glorious pumpkin-esque orange color in my wort though. Whether that actually came from the pumpkin is another story.

Edit: If you're going to use real pumpkin, I highly recommend baker's? pumpkins, ie not carving pumpkins. Iirc you get better sugar extraction out of baker's pumpkins.

The old kit came with some munich,the new one doesnt.Add some munich for flavor and color.

I did the AHS Pumpkin Ale Mini Mash 7 days ago. I pulled a hydrometer reading today and I tasted the sample. It was great even at 7 days old, cant wait till thanksgiving, that is what I was shooting for. I used two large cans of Libby's pumpkin that I included in the mash. I also doubled the Cinnamon, nutmeg and mace and added it during the last 5 minutes of the boil. It is a very pretty orange color and it smells wonderfull. Next time I am going to tripple the spice (Pie in a bottle). Right now it is very subtle in taste and aroma, but defenitly there.

I bottled mine last Saturday. It seemed a bit thin, and watery, but I am sure that will change as it conditions.
I know it will be early but I am going to drink one this Saturday to taste it as I bottle my batch of EdWorts Apfelwein.
I don't know which is more exciting.
Dave

Back