AHS Extract Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-bizzle

Reaction score
So I was thinking about trying the ubiquitous Hefeweizen as my first attempt at brewing beer (i've done wine in the past), and I have a few noobish questions.

1) Does the extract kit require a grain bag?
2) Does it require a secondary ferment? I want to save my carboy for a cider batch i'll also be brewing.
3) Does the liquid yeast require a starter, and are all the tools for that in the kit?
4) Is the liquid yeast even worth it? seems I could save a few bucks by going with dry.
5) Is the alcohol boost worth it? Seems I could just add my own sugar, right?
6) How big of a brew pot will I need?
7) Any general tips on this particular kit? http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=318

Thanks a lot!

j-bizzle said:
So I was thinking about trying the ubiquitous Hefeweizen as my first attempt at brewing beer (i've done wine in the past), and I have a few noobish questions.

2) Does it require a secondary ferment? I want to save my carboy for a cider batch i'll also be brewing.
3) Does the liquid yeast require a starter, and are all the tools for that in the kit?
4) Is the liquid yeast even worth it? seems I could save a few bucks by going with dry.

Thanks a lot!

On their pages they often list how mant pounds of extract or grain you will get. On most extract kits I have been looking at I think they list at least a half pound of grain for steeping.

Can't answer the other questions as I have not brewed that style yet, but do searches on the yeast variety they recommend. I've seen complaints here about a certain dry yeast of one brand, but dry yeast of a different brand is very highly regarded.

1. Grains come pre-bagged. At least every time I bought from them.
2.No beer really requires a second fermenter. It's not a necessary step.
3.No. But it's a good idea. Edit: No extra tools included.
4. It will definitly improve your beer, however if this is close to your first batch, I doubt that you will know any difference. No offense mean.
5. If you want 1 more %. Sugar will make it cidery.
6. At least one big enough to hold 3 gallons
Hope this helps.
-Drew

1. If it has steeping grains it should come with a bag.
2. Hefe, no, primary is fine
3. starters are alwyas good, no that is not included, see the wiki for instructions
4. liquid is a must for a hefeweizen IMO, the dry stuff has gotten mixed reviews
5. the boost they offer is vary simple sugars it adds no flavor to the beer, adding your own sugar may add of flavors, IMO just stick to the style and make the beer without the boost just have 2 beers if you want the alcohol
6. I think they say you should use 2.5 gallons of water so 3 gallons would be good

I have this recipe in my primary right now.
I took a sample taste last night after 5 days in the primary (I took a reading too)
and wow.. it was good.... really good... I am getting excited about it.

I got the mini mash version ( Austin Home brew is my local store)
The mini mash worked really well and It would require a grain bag or the MLT cooler idea.

Search the forum for MLT in the DIY section.
yes

Since Hefe is a cloudy beer I am going to let mine ferment for around 10-14 days and the rack it to a keg - I think you will be fine here.

No starter

I would go with liquid. Easy to pitch

I did not do it.

at least 3gal. I used a 5 gal.

7) Any general tips on this particular kit? http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=318

this is an easy one and a good one.

T

Awesome thanks for the quick replies guys. I just ordered the kit and I'm pretty excited for it. It sounds like the perfect quick brew while I wait for my long term projects to age (wine and cider).

Back