Ahh! Too Dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
I bottled my first AG brew, a summer IPA and noticed it has quite a low FG. It's original gravity was between 1.060 and 1.056. There was some slight confusion. When i racked to secondary it was still smelling quite fruity and pungent with a FG of 1.012. It's not at 1.010 and smelling very dry. It tastes very dry as well. The fruit has dissapeared or is mostly hidden. Does this sound... frighteningly dry?

I mashed a bit low, 150-151. My PM and extract beers have always tasted great in secondary but have never been dry enough in the bottle. I wondering if I'm just tasting a properly dry HB for the first time.

Any thoughts?
-Ben

Well, 1.010 isnt REAL dry, but pretty dry if the OG was 1.060... what were the fermentation temps like? Is it dry, or are there some fusel alcohols in there too? Get it carbonated and conditioned, it will more than likely change alot. You know what happened to it, mash a little higher and ferment cool for a nice malt flavor. What sort of yeast did you use? You have 83% attenuation... wow!

Pol

AG tend to be drier than extract or PM, unless you intentionally mash high. For an IPA, dry tends to be good.

Back