AHH...March Pump failing. Fan not spinning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tannnick

Reaction score
In my last batch, my pump gave me trouble. The fan isn't spinning. I don't know what to do. It won't pump anything, just hums. I can't really brew til i fix this!! What do I do? I did oil and no luck.

If the fan is not turning, that means that the motor is also not turning. I would remove the pump head and attempt to turn the motor shaft manually to be sure it is free. Plug the motor in and see if it will spin without the pump head installed. The motor shaft may have seized up in the bushings due to lack of oil. Now that you've oiled the bushings, you may be able to free up the shaft and get it going again. It's not likely that the motor is shot, but there is that possibility. If you use pliers to grab the shaft, protect it with a thick cloth to prevent scoring or otherwise damaging the shaft. Post back and let us know how you make out.

I have used the pump for 12 batches. My last one i left with my buddy we used like 30 times no oil. wtf?! I will take the front off and try spinning. I have it in a box so this kinda sucks. Thanks.

I agree that the pump should need oil only very rarely using them intermittently and for short durations as we home brewers typically do. It may not be a lubrication problem at all, but it's worth checking out before you go any further. Now that you mentioned having it in a box, I'm wondering if it might have been damaged by overheating due to poor air flow. These pumps are supposed to be thermally protected, but I'm not clear on exactly what that means.

I'm not sure if the magnetic coupling is strong enough to prevent the motor from turning if the pump impeller gets stuck for some reason, but that's also a possibility. While you have the pump head off, make sure that the impeller spins freely on the shaft and that there is nothing obstructing it in the head.

Did you take it apart and see if anything is stuck in the impellor.
Disclaimer: I don't have a pump just throwing things out there ;)

So, what's the word? Did you figure out what the problem was?

I have to clean the shaft on the impeller every once in a while. Take off the head (four bolts) and then remove the impeller covering (four more bolts) and don't lose the rubber gasket. Remove the impeller and clean it and the shaft. A screwdriver, little bit of PBW and a brush and it's done in 5 minutes.

These pumps are supposed to be thermally protected, but I'm not clear on exactly what that means.

Thermal protection in a small motor is generally a bi-metal switch that opens above a certain temperature and closes after the heat dissipates. It is usually placed within the stator windings or under the outer wrap next to the wire coils. If the pump hums it generally shows that the thermal protection has not tripped, as there is still a magnetic field being generated by the current flow.

Sometimes the lubrication in the bearings will degrade and cause the motor to seize up. Generally a stuck pump impeller won't stop the motor as the magnetic coupling is designed to allow slippage.

FWIW, the fan in mine has froze in the past as well and a few drops of 3 in 1 oil have resolved the issue.

Mine froze up last brew.... Took the head off and it started working... I may have splashed some delicious sticky wort in it... Who knows... It is back in business though...

:mug:

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the feedback. I will try these in the AM. Haven't been around the equipment. Had lots of bottling and transferring. I will let ya know.

Alright here is the update. I took the head apart and the impeller was stuck. I took it off and cleaned it and put it back and it spins freely. It was forceful to turn it before took it off the shaft. I put it back on and tested it and it works. I guess I need to clean better. 180F water apparently isnt enough.

Thanks to all for the insight.

Alright here is the update. I took the head apart and the impeller was stuck. I took it off and cleaned it and put it back and it spins freely. It was forceful to turn it before took it off the shaft. I put it back on and tested it and it works. I guess I need to clean better. 180F water apparently isnt enough.

Thanks to all for the insight.

You said the fan was not turning in your initial post which also means that the motor was not turning. I did not think that the magnetic coupling to the impeller was strong enough to stall the motor, but I guess this shows that it must be. Good to know.

oh yes. the impeller was pretty much stuck. had to really pull it off the shaft. Just better cleaning!

Still works today after that one time disassembly. Must run some pbw or oxyclean or some caustic through it. Normally do chiller and heating element in bk at the same time. Works great!

Back