AHB kalamazoo IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamrd

Reaction score
anyone tried this kit from Austin homebrew supposed to be hopdunk clone

i stand corrected it's hopslam IIPA, AHS is calling it Kalamazoo hopdunk whatever it's called anyone brewed it yet?

I brewed the extract kit a couple of days ago. I used a 2L starter and decanted. It went off like crazy...fortunately used a blowoff tube. OG was 1.098 with a an extra pound of sugar. It's in my freezer now @ 67F with the WLP001. I can post how it tastes in a week or two! 9oz of hops in the boil and 2oz dry hop :) If I remember right that is.

I just ordered this kit two days ago myself. I've read that a starter and blow off tube are necessities with this kit. Can't wait!

Brewed this one up yesterday. My hop head neighbor came over due to the metric ass ton of hop aroma infiltrating the neighborhood. Did the partial mash and somehow ended up overshooting the OG by quite a bit. Instructions call for 1.089 and I was at 1.110 and ran out of room to add any more top off water. The yeast is currently working their little butts off...hope they don't peeter out with all of the sugars.

Hehe, yep, sounds like the same beer. I wonder how the OG got so high? Did you do a starter?

Mine is down in my place in Moscow and I checked on it a few days ago. 1.5 weeks in and it still looks like a green wendy's milkshake. It's stable at 69F in my freezer with the WLP001. The blow off tube is bubbling every few seconds. Big brew.

Yeah, did a starter, so that should help.

The only thing I can think of for the high OG is that I squeezed the bag pretty good and ran 3/4 gallon of sparge over it instead of the recommended 1/2 gallon. Other than that, I followed the recipe to a T.

I've got mine in a make shift evap cooler chilling right around 63F. I need to get one of those freezer set ups.

Transferred this over to the secondary tonight just a touch after two weeks in the primary at 68F. Took a reading and it is now down to 1.018 (from a 1.110 OG). I'm still fairly new, but that sounds like some pretty good attenuation.

This beer is huge. The sample I took tonight was incredible. Huge hops, huge body, maybe a tad sweet, but with such a high ABV, to be expected I guess.

I just added the 2oz. of Chinook pellets straight into the secondary and racked right on top. The one time I used a nylon bag to dry hop I felt that the bag didn't let the hops fully integrate with the beer, however, the last beer I dry hopped loose came out extremely cloudy....murky. Any tips on getting a loose dry hopped beer to come out clearer?

Yep, use it on every batch I brew, but dry hopping seems to do a murky number on my home brews. I'm going to try and cold crash it for a couple of days prior to bottling to see if that clears it up a bit.

Back