Agitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mighty_moe

Reaction score
Hi, all, just looking for some opinions/input.

I have a Brewer's Best smoked porter that's been in primary for six days. I used WLP002 and fermentation kicked off in earnest within 12 or so hours at 69-70*. Just wondering if I should swirl the bucket around a little bit now that we're a week in and fermentation appears to have slowed. I thought of just swirling it much like one would swirl a glass of wine.

Thanks!!!

nope. no need to, unless your gravity is still very high
I agree. I've done it when I wasn't at terminal gravity and it seemed feremntation had stopped (with wlp002). I took gravity over a couple of days and had no movement. So I roused it a bit and squeezed 4 more points out of it.

After my last batch with wlp002 I think it might have been fine if I just let it sit. I had a brown in the primary for 4 weeks and it dropped clear. Then I crash cooled for 3 days. I decided I wanted to bottle some of the beer and thought i was screwed. I didn't think there would be enough yeast left in suspension. I went a head and bottled figuring I could open the bottles and put into keg and force carb. 2 weeks later its carbed nicely. So my guess is that you still have a good amount of yeast left in suspension. I was quite surprised I have carbed beer after 2 weeks with crash cooling it before priming.

Back