Aging of cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
image-907880336.jpg

That looks a really nice Cider, and 'creamy'?, I've never had one that I would describe in such a way, but I may strive to make my next one creamy, that actually sounds really good. Lactose, maybe?

the longest I have ever had the opportunity to age a cider (drink it too fast, and too furiously!) was a 22oz bomber for 7 months. As I drank the cider I had up to that point the 6 month cider was definitely the best, and toward the end of the 7th month you could tell it wasn't getting any better. I have always scheduled my fermentation 6 1/2 months before the "Drinking" because of this. (if you can go 6 1/2 months without blasting it, I know I have a hard time with this :drunk:)

I got a half gallon of the same stuff that I haven't touched yet. I will try and let it go for 6. Sounds good.

image-2875413153.jpg

I started with 4 gallons of Hansens 100% juice, added 2 cans of old orchard 100% juice concentrate (apple raspberry flavor) added 2 tsp of pectic enzyme and wyeast 4766 cider yeast.
Let that ferment out couple weeks.
Transferred to secondary and added fresh strawberries. I removed the tops and left the berries whole but you can quarter them or do what you like.
I used 2.5 lbs of berries only because I split the 4 gallon batch in two.
I left the secondary out for another 2 weeks with the berries then cold crashed for two days.
I then added two more cans of the same concentrate for taste and also to bottle carbonate. I let the bottles carb for 3-4 days then placed in the fridge.

Sorry 2.5 lbs for 2 gallons. For me it was just right, although it did give the cider a bitter taste compared to the other 2 gallons that I split it with. The other two gallons I just left alone and did not add berries. The bitterness did go away though in about a weeks time. As for the wyeast... I have tried coopers and white labs before and the wyeast seems to come out cleaner and there is no noticeable yeast taste what so ever. I do want to try Nottingham as it seems to be everyone favorite.

Back