Agave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
What does agave bring to beer?
I'm doing a black IPA next and don't have quite enough ingredients to hit an IPA original gravity and was considering adding 6-8 points with agave.

Fermentable sugar.

I use to use agave syrup/nectar for priming sugar. I don't know that it brought anything else with it besides sugar to ferment.

What form of agave are you asking about?

Fermentable sugar.

I use to use agave syrup/nectar for priming sugar. I don't know that it brought anything else with it besides sugar to ferment.

What form of agave are you asking about?
Whatever is darkest.

With an IPA, I doubt you will be able to notice any flavor it night add to a light lager or something similar. The Agave will ferment all the way so consider mouth feel and so on when making up the recipe. :mug:

With an IPA, I doubt you will be able to notice any flavor it night add to a light lager or something similar. The Agave will ferment all the way so consider mouth feel and so on when making up the recipe. :mug:
That's what I was kind of thinking, but it's cheaper to ask on here than to use some and find out the hard way.

I don’t think you’d taste it even in a light lager. I made a tripel with a ton of agave, and it was indistinguishable from using dextrose. So agave away!

I think for fermenting, agave it is just expensive sugar. In relatively small quantities I doubt it will make the finished product taste or feel perceptibly different than table sugar. If you want to do something a little different maybe try making some dark invert sugar and add that to the black IPA. You can make a small batch while the beer is brewing and add it at the end of the boil. Invert sugar was commonly part of historic IPA.

I use agave for specific beers that I brew because the sugar imparts a cactus fruit-pepper flavor. It is subtle and will probably be lost in a black IPA or anything that is heavily hopped. I use it as a priming sugar/adjunct for my chile beer, where it adds the cactus fruit element, but the peppery aspect is lost to the jalapeños. I have also used it in a hibiscus saison, where it boosted the peppery quality of the yeast expression, and added a cactus sweetness to balance the hibiscus tart.

The amount of flavor definitely depends on the brand, which is why people are reporting different experiences.

Just saw this today
1651260030409.jpeg

Back