AG Temp and efficiency problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston85

Reaction score
I have done 4 AG beers so far, but seem to always get hung up on hitting the correct mash temp, which them seems to impact everything down to efficiency. Today I brewed a dark english ale, recipe below:

9.5# US 2 Row
1.5# Victor
.5# C-40
.25# Roasted Barley
.25# Chocolate.

The grain temp was 78 and I wanted to do a 1.5 qt to grain ratio in hopes of increasing efficiency a bit more. I raised my strike water to 165 so I could dump it into the mash tun (Coleman 70Q XTreme) and pre-heat it before adding grain. Beer smith calculated the strike temp of 158.7. When the water in the tun hit 160 I added the grain, in hopes of settling at 150. However right from the start I was between 148 and 150. I added a little more hot water (4quarts at 180) and it didn't seem to do much. I then let the mash sit for 70 minutes.

On my first running I collected about 4 gallons at 1.05, which is above the 1.046 that beer smith predicted, assuming 70% efficiency. I then batch sparged 1 time with 3 gallons water at 185 degrees, thinking I could get it to settle at around 170. However once I added the water it only came up to around 165. I let that sit for 10 minutes, then took second running. I got about 3 gallons from that, and at the end the gravity was around 1.01. When I added everything to the boil kettle, my gravity was 1.035, showing an efficiency of 1.036, or 59% efficiency.

I boiled that down to around 5 gallons that came in at 1.055, slightly below the estimated 1.06, for a final brewhouse efficiency of 64%.

I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong here. I cant seem to get my mash temp correct, and then when I sparge, I am adding what I think is hot enough water at 185 degrees, but I cant raise the temp more than 165 when it is mixed with grain. I know there are a number of things that go into efficiency, but I feel like my process could be better.

Anyone have any tips?

Between 148 and 150 is basically no difference. A degree or two isn't going to make much of a difference, so I don't see that as a problem.

165 for the sparge isn't ideal, sure, but it's fine. You just want to get as close to 170 as you can, and 165 shouldn't cause a problem. Next time just mash out with a bit hotter water. You just eventually get a feel for what temp of water you need to get to 170.

So, I don't really see any major problems with your temperatures. How is your crush? Are you crushing yourself or having your LHBS do it? Are you checking to make sure your mash pH is within an acceptable range (or at least going off of a water spreadsheet or something like that)?

probably already doing this but- you do need to stir for a while before taking the runnings. When I batch sparge I stir 5 minutes before each running (then let it settle for about 5 minutes, then vorlouf for each running). Also, how much dead space is in your mash tun? I had a problem with that in a new ice chest. just some thoughts. I don't think it is a temp issue.

I have my LHBS store crush the grain. Also I probably could stir everything for a bit longer after mixing. I stir it, but only for about a minute or so. I was too worried about stirring too long and losing too much heat from the mash.

if the thinner mash didn't seem to help, then I would go back to a thicker one and add another sparge and see what that does for me ... and ask the LHBS for a finer crush .. the temps you used seemed fine to me. good luck

Back