AG process for Dummies (or at least one Dummy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiknNutz

Reaction score
I want to move from extract to AG (BIAB to be specific) and plan to buy a couple kits so I can focus on the process and not worry if I cobbled together the right ingredients. Even still, I am ignorant of a few points in the kits. In this case it is from MoreBeer (Citra Session Pale Ale) and it has the following:

Grains:
8# California Select

Specialty Malts:
1# Crystal 10L
8 oz. Carapils

Question: Do I include the specialty malts in the mash or are those steeped? The instructions do not mention, only for Hop additions.

One add'l question about the hops, it shows this for one of the Hop additions:
2 oz Citra - Boil last 0 min...does that mean to simply throw in after flameout and let it be?

I also wanted to try an Oatmeal Stout which of course has many more ingredients such as flaked oats, black patent, white wheat, etc. Same question applies.

Yes, all grains are mashed.

Correct, toss the hops in as you cut the heat and then proceed with chilling etc.

Same applies for the stout.

I can tell you that the crush MoreBeer has for their grains won’t be fine enough for a successful BIAB session. Do you have your own mill?

I don’t yet. Was planning to get the cereal killer from AIH but they are out of stock til mid June. I had hoped I wouldn’t need to yet as I’ve spent a bunch in the last month already.

If the Corona-style mills are adequate, why spend more for the other style?
Corona mills work good for BIAB but are not good for traditional 3 vessel brewing.
Corona mills will pulverize the grain into almost flour which, with a bag, is no big deal and actually helps with efficiency. With a manifold in a mash tun, this will cause stuck sparge as the smaller material will clog the manifold. A 2 or 3 roller mill doesn't pulverize the malt, it crushes it leaving the husks intact.

^That
I use a corona style knock off that I ordered from Walmart for like 17 bucks. It ain't pretty, but it does the job.

I'd like to find one that cheap, they are all right about $30 now. That's still better than $100 for sure.

Corona mills work good for BIAB but are not good for traditional 3 vessel brewing.
Corona mills will pulverize the grain into almost flour which, with a bag, is no big deal and actually helps with efficiency. With a manifold in a mash tun, this will cause stuck sparge as the smaller material will clog the manifold. A 2 or 3 roller mill doesn't pulverize the malt, it crushes it leaving the husks intact.

I think this will depend on your system, I have used a corona style mill for both BIAB and a 3 vessel set up and have never had a stuck sparge. I have a screen style false bottom in my mash tun, maybe it would get stuck if it was a PVC style.

I bought it years ago for less than $30 bucks I mounted in a bucket, added a motor and I get great efficiency with it. You could start with it and always upgrade later and then hold on to it for a backup or sell it.

I think this will depend on your system, I have used a corona style mill for both BIAB and a 3 vessel set up and have never had a stuck sparge. I have a screen style false bottom in my mash tun, maybe it would get stuck if it was a PVC style.

I bought it years ago for less than $30 bucks I mounted in a bucket, added a motor and I get great efficiency with it. You could start with it and always upgrade later and then hold on to it for a backup or sell it.
Well ok fair enough. I was being very general.

I do BIAB but my corona mill doesn't pulverize my grain into flour. Maybe I don't have it set quite as tight as others but I have tons of grain husks still mostly intact but ripped open. I think the corona vs more expensive crusher maybe comes down to ease of use(like so many other products). My corona works fine but it has a small hopper(unless you modify), and I'm periodically have to re-tighten things that get loose. Not a big deal for me. If I was doing bigger batches I would definitely need to add a large hopper.

The reviews on the knock-off corona mills listed on Amazon and such are less than stellar. I hate to buy stuff that is junk and ends up costing you more since you need to just buy the better thing ultimately anyway. May end up going for the cereal killer as it seems to have the best value of the ones I know of.

rain.gif

Were the bad reviews for crushing barley? It's been awhile since I bought mine but I vaguely remember reading bad reviews from people using it for cooking/baking and trying to crush harder things, like corn. Not trying to sway you either way, ultimately it's your time and money, but I've had mine awhile and it's worked fine for brewing needs. I didn't buy mine on Amazon though.

Were the bad reviews for crushing barley? It's been awhile since I bought mine but I vaguely remember reading bad reviews from people using it for cooking/baking and trying to crush harder things, like corn. Not trying to sway you either way, ultimately it's your time and money, but I've had mine awhile and it's worked fine for brewing needs. I didn't buy mine on Amazon though.

It was for this one...https://www.amazon.com/Operated-Grinder-Useful-Kitchen-Hopper/dp/B07HM3WF9Y/ref=sr_1_23?dchild=1&keywords=grain+mill&qid=1591558564&s=home-garden&sr=1-23

Many speak of poor quality, parts not fitting well, lots of metal shavings coming off during use, casting breaking, etc. Could be a variety of reasons, just overall speaks of poor quality.

Latest posts

Back