After boil clarifiers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefDougAU

Reaction score
I am typically using Whirlfloc tablets in my kettle during the last 15-20 minutes. What are some options for when I forget... or if I want further clarification? Gelatin? I have seen folks mention it... how is it used and when?

Gelatin is easy to use. Best (imo) if you cold crash first, but many use it without cold crashing and report success.

Basically (look it up for more detailed info) you just mix some flavorless gelatin with water and heat it up in a microwave to about 160F, give or take 10F, then add either to your fermenter or keg. I add it just after kegging and I shake my kegs around after adding the gelatin.

Clarity ferm is another product you could use. It's added just after pitching the yeast.

I use gelatine on some brews. I use it before bottling (I don't have kegs). Cold crash for two days, add gelatine (1 tsp in 1/2 cup of water heated to about 75C for 10 mins to pasteurise it) and gently swirl in the fermenter. Leave for another 2 days then bottle.

It makes the beer really nice and clear, but I think some beers (especially hoppy beers) taste better with the cloudiness left in.

Back