Aeration Stones Still Popular?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I should. Everything is new now. Dogs and cats living together. People fermenting in kegs.

I assume there must be floating dip tube out there that keeps the keg from pumping trub off the bottom.

Exactly! I've been doing my NEIPAs this way for the past year and haven't looked back. You could drop the keg, once sealed with CO2, into your pool for cooling. Id just avoid letting the top go underwater to be safe.

You only need a keg and floating dip tube, I use the Torpedo brand floating dip tubes from morebeer.com

This doesn't sound bad. I see people online complaining that a Corny doesn't have enough head space, but it's not like I really have to have 5 gallons every time.

I really like this idea. A Corny will cool faster in the pool, and the web says I can still get 4.5 gallons in one. I wonder if that's true of wheat beers.

I use my 6gal Torpedo when I can but have used a corny plenty of times, most recently for an Irish stout. You're fine filling it up leaving a few inches of head space, and use beer line connected to a CO2 fitting for your blow off tube..switch to spunding if you want when things settle down

I used to run a tube into a jar of water. The theory was that if anything foamy went into the water, the bubbles would pop so I wouldn't get foam everywhere. I guess that would work with a Corny keg.

Right now, I'm trying to find out how long a flexible tube has to be to work with a Corny and a floating doodad.

I used to run a tube into a jar of water. The theory was that if anything foamy went into the water, the bubbles would pop so I wouldn't get foam everywhere. I guess that would work with a Corny keg.

Right now, I'm trying to find out how long a flexible tube has to be to work with a Corny and a floating doodad.
Same idea, except I'd add a little starsan to the water, in the worst case scenario anything goes in the opposite direction - it's cheap insurance.

The kits usually come with everything you need, including the tube. Check out the Torpedo branded one on morebeer

Thanks. I actually have a Torpedo dip tube sitting here. I bought the shorter keg. I thought the tube would be sized for it.

Let's see. The included tube is 23.5" long. Guess I have enough slack.

Wish I hadn't thrown out my liquid disconnects. I could be drinking beer right now.

That sounds like the same length as mine and I use it on a 6gallon slightly taller than a corny. Does the kit come with a screened filter for the end of the dip tube? If not you can buy a 5 pack or so on Amazon for cheap. I always put one on, not sure if it's doing anything. I also drink primary NEIPA's and stouts lately, no clear beer.

I ferment and serve from the same keg.

When transferring to the kettle I let the beer make a splash to produce air bubbles.

I only use a aeration stone for carbonation.
I tried Aeration stones for a while and had alot of problems with infection. I agree with you. I have found that when I transfer finished beer into my fermenter I allow the beer to splash. this works great and it is very simple. I use the stones for carbonation and always boil them before using them in the next keg.

I tried Aeration stones for a while and had alot of problems with infection. I agree with you. I have found that when I transfer finished beer into my fermenter I allow the beer to splash. this works great and it is very simple. I use the stones for carbonation and always boil them before using them in the next keg.
Roger, yeah too risky to use them in cooled wort IMO, splashing should give enough O2.

I've never boiled, I soak mine in rubbing alcohol overnight and shake it/dump it a few times in the process. The alcohol turns a faint yellow so it's cleaning crap out of the stone.

I've never boiled
Heat sanitation is the way to go for aeration stones. It is the only way to sanitize something you can’t clean completely. You just need to get it above pasteurization temperature for the appropriate time. If you are using a wand, just stick it in the kettle for the last five minutes of the boil. I use Spike’s TC version and just simmer it in hot water for 10 minutes (which is overkill, I know) on the stove then let it cool on a clean paper towel. Never had an infection.

After opening the valve and oxygenating the wort in the fermenter, I leave the valve open and let the o2 bubble up through a StarSan solution for several seconds. This works well to clear the pores in the aeration stone of wort and prepares it for the next time it's needed.

Latest posts

Back