Aeration Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoronBrothersBrewery

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Got an aeration question: When using those red O2 tanks you buy at home improvement stores, along with a regulator, a 2' micron air stone, and some tubing, do you still need an SS aeration wand? Or can you just use some small clamps to fasten the stone to the tubing? $35 bucks seems like a lot for a SS wand. Thanks!

My O2 rig runs tubing from the regulator to a ~2 foot piece of acrylic racking cane to a short piece of tubing to the barbed end of a .5 micron sintered SS stone. The cane keeps the stone on the bottom of the carboy - and lets me swirl the wort while the O2 infuses into it. Without the cane I'm pretty sure the O2-filled tubing would cause the stone to float up, perhaps even to the top of the wort, as the stone doesn't weigh much...

Cheers!

[edit] ps, no clamps used, all the connections are just jammed together. I run @ .5 LPM (med grade flow meter) and so far haven't had any pieces pop off into the bottom of a carboy - yet ;)

Wish I saw this before I purchased the ss stick for $35 lol. Biggest thing is having the stone on something solid so you can swirl it around and not have it just float to the top.

i like the one piece stainless wand because i can sterilize it in a flame. the multiple plastic connections were a bit more work to sanitize.

Back